some of the Market Wizards are taking hits.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MainFramer, May 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Throw me in for 5 keys and some coco beans as well

#101     May 14, 2002

2. 5 keys? That's my whole stash!

This is the USA- not just you, ese

:D

(anyone remember that line from old SNL?)

#102     May 14, 2002
  3. TonyOz

TonyOz

After speaking with my attorney this morning about the legal aspects of this idea, I was advised to let the idea go. Some implications of posting real-time open positions and charging subscription fees even for a good cause had him very nervous.

Since I wasn't thinking of doing it for bragging rights (I have nothing to prove to anyone - I participated in 5 stock picking contests, and I won 3 , finished 3rd and finished 5th), but both for education and charity, I no longer have a valid reason to put the time into such event. (wife is very happy about that). That's too bad, because I was really excited about it for a whole 16 hours :)

P2,

I think that you are a great trader, and I also admire the fact that you have the balls to say what you said about your trading ability. and I don't for a second think it was an ego thing rather than FAITH in both your trading system and trading ability. However, I have to disagree with you when you said "I admit quite freely that he is the better trader." A master trader in my book is someone who has a winning system and executes his trading plans with discipline. The end result in dollar and cents or percentage returns normally reflect and is directly related to the risk taken at any time - be it leverage, exposure, etc.

I guess my point is that as long as two traders execute their game plan and follow their risk management rules and guidelines religiously, then there is no better trader. The returns will be directly related to risk.

Anyhow, my hat is off to you. Keep up the good work and take money out of the market.

Tony

#103     May 14, 2002
  4. OZ: I appreciate your kind words. I agree with you as well about the point that as long as you make money, you're achieving your goal. Doing well is only as good as achieving your own goals. I've had days where I made 10k+ and been pissed at myself cause I should have made twice as much, yet other days where I've been totally pasted and lost 15k (stock halts mainly), and been glad that what SHOULD have been a true Cherynobyl, ended up being a mere three mile island. It's just meeting your own goals.

As per a challenge, I'd still be interested in setting one up. Maybe Baron could do it. Make it a 1 year challenge, anyone can join. We use closing prices on the day of the trade, and there's a 3 day minimum holding period. Make it something for the longer term traders. We'd all start with an imaginary 100k or something. What do you guys think about that?

#104     May 14, 2002
  5. that is the kind of game I like ...

#105     May 14, 2002
  6. attorneys get paid to be nervous ...

#106     May 14, 2002
  7. stevet

stevet

rule one of being an attorney

always tell the client everthing is dangerous

a) if the client then does not do it, he is none the wiser if it would have worked or not, and you bill him for the advice

b) if the client goes ahead anyway, and the business works out - the attorney knows the client expected him to be cautious anyway - and its the client who is the entrepreneur anyway

c) the attorney favourite - and the one they make the most money from - the client screws up and the attorney comes to the rescue - and really screws the client

here's a good one - ask your attorney - if you should get another attorney to advise you on your business ideas - catch 22

#107     May 14, 2002
  8. nitro

nitro

metoo,

We would need a professional accounting firm just to keep track of the thousands of strades every day.

Also, options are highly leveraged, certainly > 2:1.

nitro:(

#108     May 14, 2002
  9. $100,000 account, no concentration, no compounding; that is a game we can play ...

#109     May 14, 2002
  10. TonyOz

TonyOz

I couldn't say it better myself!

#110     May 14, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.