some more potential snake oil

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by marketsurfer, Apr 12, 2004.

1. I actually sent an email asking a question about returns yesterday, and have yet to hear back.

Two things I always look for - a complete track record, and responsiveness to inquiries. They fall short on both.

#11     Apr 13, 2004
  2. monetoz

monetoz

This guy has an amazing hit rate IN HINDSIGHT. I wish someone saw these calls in real-time and could testify. But I doubt such person could be found on the face of the earth.

#12     Apr 13, 2004
  3. Yet another one .:mad:

It still amazes me that these vendors can continue to peddle this stuff legally.

Who is behind this madness ?

It took me 3 years and plenty of hard work to become a licenced stockbroker back in 85 and the process was very difficult and I had to be VERY accountable for all my actions legally.. yet these morons can just peddle stuff like this as if it where nothing.

What do we need to do as a community to make these guys get registered or something ?

Surely we must be abel to put some pressure on some government agency to enact stricter laws and regulations.

#13     Apr 13, 2004
  4. monetoz

monetoz

Lobby CFTC and SEC, your local representatives, senators, your state's Attorney General, the usual sha-bang. Of course it helps if you got money to contribute to their campaigns :) Otherwise, call, e-mail...

#14     Apr 14, 2004
  5. Dr. Stoxx

Dr. Stoxx

Greetings all. An alert subscriber notified me to this thread. I'm open to questions from the floor about our services, our performance record, my trading style/philosophy, etc.

Yes there is a lot of "snake oil" out there...I've wasted money on some of it myself (and can give you my own list of "gurus to avoid")...so one is right to be cautious. I often find myself feeling uncomfortable (especially given my background and training...as a Pastor and now Professor of Religious Studies and Philosophy) with the crowd this business sets me among. But in becoming a trading advisor, I am simply following what seems to me to be a genuine "calling". I don't always perform that duty well. There is no one harder on Dr. Stoxx after he calls a stinker of a trade than Dr. Stoxx himself! But I keep learning and growing as a trader...and love the idea that I can help others become successful traders in that process.

As for the SI comments, I addressed those on that forum.

Happy trading, TC ("Dr. Stoxx").

#15     Apr 16, 2004
  6. traderob

traderob

Leaving aside whether this guy can pick stocks or not he is not in the league of trader brad et al. His seminar costs under a $100 and a monthly sub. is only $50.

TraderBrad, rsofhouston etc cost in the thousands for their non-refundable courses.

#16     Apr 16, 2004
  7. i applaud dr. stoxx coming into this forum offering a cogent and humble response. he admits his falibilities and does not appear to be anything like the others that have been questioned. it's nice to see some apparent honesty.

best,

surfer :)

#17     Apr 16, 2004
  8. Dr. Stoxx, good to hear from you. While you say you addressed SI comments posted here on that thread, I think it would benefit you greatly to address them here also.

Specifically, do you document all of your trades for each service - winners and losers? And, why would someone accuse you of not doing so?

Thanks, I think we are all looking forward to your response. Also, some friendly advice - I think it is fair to say everyone knows your site from the original post in the thread. You might want to eliminate the links in your posts, as they will (probably) be deleted when someone complains about SPAM, and it being a TOS violation.

#18     Apr 16, 2004
  9. Dr. Stoxx

Dr. Stoxx

Hi Snoop,

You asked: Specifically, do you document all of your trades for each service - winners and losers? And, why would someone accuse you of not doing so?

My answer:

Yes, we document all our executed and closed trades. For our BTTT Daily Newsletter, we post a daily update on Silicon Investor. Here is the latest: http://www.siliconinvestor.com/stocktalk/msg.gsp?msgid=20027436

For our Master the Trade Newsletter (smallcaps, fewer open positions): http://www.befriendthetrend.com/OurPerformanceMtt1.html

And our QQQ-Reversal Newsletter: http://www.befriendthetrend.com/OurPerformanceQQQ1.html

And to your second question:

I was accused on SI of not including unexecuted trades in our performance record. We normally recommend entering a trade at a specific price and if that price is not triggered during the trading day the trade is "scratched". No execution = no trade. On average this happens about 1 out of 5 trades. I'm still at a loss as to why anyone would think it essential for me to include these. Here is what I wrote in response on SI:

...there is really no correct way to record them, is there? They are technically not "losers" since they never lost anyone any money (not even commissions), nor are they winners. E.g., when we have an executed trade that is exited at the entry price, we call that a loser since even though no invested capital is lost, commissions are lost. But in a "scratch" or unexcuted trade, no money is lost at all.

Hope that helps, TC.

#19     Apr 16, 2004
  10. I agree about scratched trades. Thanks for the answer - you are building credibility in my eyes for coming here to address accusations and concerns. Good luck with your business.

#20     Apr 16, 2004