Some investment advice?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bufferman, Apr 22, 2004.

1. OK, I won't ask.

#21     Apr 23, 2004
  2. thanks everyone for your responses.
    I will look into everything that was posted.

#22     Apr 23, 2004
  3. Look... put it in treasuries and take 15% of it to speculate with. The Low APR from the treasuries + spice = nice.

Diversify = lower risk.

Michael B.

#23     Apr 23, 2004
  4. Naturally, if there is a monthly paym't option with the lottery commission that would net more, consider that vs. a discounted lump sum payout. Just pencil it out.....

Michael B.

#24     Apr 23, 2004
  5. If it was my money I'd trade all of it, but it's not.
    This man has been poor most of his life, so I don't want to recommend him anything that has even a slight chance of loss.

I don't know how much he won and how he's collecting it but he wants to invest $50k out of it in something where it will grow, and since he asked for my advice, I'd only recommend something that has no risk (almost) at all.

So yeah, treasury bonds sound like a good idea. I will also look into what others posted.

thanks.

#25     Apr 23, 2004
  6. Armo

Armo

Buffer

Make a deposit in Australian dollars with HSBC - pays about 5%currently. Currency risk applies if you consider the US dollar will depreciate further against the Aussie, otherwise hedge it.

Sam

#26     Apr 24, 2004
  7. BVM88

BVM88

I would regard investing in US Treasuries to be high risk at this particular juncture. I personally could not invest in Treasuries knowing that their value is dependent on the faith of Asian investors in the US economy and particularly knowing that Greenspan is hell bent on crucifying anyone with savings. By investing in Treasuries one must be a true believer in all the lies on inflation, unemployment and the economy that are being dished out to all of us by this pack of lunatics. I for one have no interest in playing their game. Whilst I’m a bit reluctant to give advice on this, I will say that a good and possibly the safest investment that I have made over the past two years is investing in Australian dollars. I’m currently getting 5.40% at call with Citibank (Australia) and have made over 30% in capital gains on top so far. But please do not take this as advice as it may not be the best time right now, depending on one’s time frame, to be getting out of US dollars.

#27     Apr 24, 2004
  8. I understand. Rest assured, I will not jump on and recommend something to my uncle without first researching it.
    I personally don't have much knowledge of these things and that's why all these responses are much appreciated.

#28     Apr 24, 2004
  9. Zathrus1

Zathrus1

Considering current interest rates, I'd suggest a different thing altogether.
    Take the 50,000 and look at buying at least one duplex as a rentral property. That way you've got income plus appreciation, and the risk is very low.

Just a thought....

Z1

#29     Apr 24, 2004
  10. BVM88

BVM88

I would also regard any investment in property/duplex to be high risk at this stage.

I must say that anyone following the advice on this thread would in all probability have a one way ticket to the poor house.
    When interest rates are at 40 odd year lows only a fool would lock their hard earned money away in treasuries – one only has to look at what happened to bond holders in the 70’s to see their most likely fate if they choose this path. Similarly, to invest in property after it has doubled in a few years thanks to a bubble that was created by our pal Alan Greenspan is just as foolish.

To make serious money one must endeavor take the opposite side at extremes, and to avoid losing serious money one must not follow the herd at extremes – I cannot put it any simpler.

#30     Apr 24, 2004