Some books I am considering.

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by V-Viper, Feb 24, 2004.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Actually, you provide a good example of one of the points I've been trying to make. I don't use most of your setups for a variety of reasons, but your book is one of the best and most useful I've read.

#31     Feb 26, 2004
  2. Threei

Threei

Thank you.

If correct trading philosophy (general apporach to the market and trading) is in place, and mental issues are resolved, trading system doesn't really matter... take any of existing or design your own, it will work for you as long as it is your edge. What I was aiming in the book was to show how one comes to this philosophy, how mental issues are resolved, what practical steps one is to take to find your edge and to come to calm and consistent profitability. And I still believe that this part is major value of the book... originally that was all I was going to write about. Then it became obvious that without demonstration of trading method itself book would feel incomplete, so second part appeared... and then a need in practical illustration surfaced... so it wound up triple of what was intended... :)

Vad

PS... and I am still fuming over the title... I am so convinced my original one was much better and reflected the book content precisely...hate current one passionately

#32     Feb 26, 2004
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

well! what is the title you have in mind. :D

#33     Feb 26, 2004
  4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Your decision is debatable, but probably the correct one. I read the reviews of many market and trading books, and there are a depressing number of bad reviews for essential books because the reviewer couldn't find any "systems". Or they'll dismiss Magee or Mamis because of a complete disinterest in what the reviewers call "philosophy".

So many writers take your path and provide a buffet of patterns and systems and tactics and setups and so forth, then get disemboweled because whozit tried them and they didn't "work", which means that the author is an idiot and his book is worthless and so on.

Some people want to learn. Others only want to be told that they're doing everything right and that if they're losing money it's not their fault it's just the mean ol' market. Fortunately, that will never change (otherwise, trading would be too difficult).

#34     Feb 26, 2004
  5. Threei

Threei

My title was A Trader's Jorney into Reality:
    Revitalization of a Lost Art of Tape Reading (part after the colon as a subtitle).

I believe that was exact reflection of book content, and it wouldn't make targeted audience that narrow as title mentioning only specific way of reading the market did. But publisher decided otherwise.

#35     Feb 26, 2004
  6. nkhoi

nkhoi

cool, I know why publisher rejected the title but it is ok to me. :cool:

#36     Feb 26, 2004
  7. Threei

Threei

hehe... then you know more than I do... I was simply told that their marketing department considers that one to be better, and they want to keep emphasis on tape reading as a method largely and undeservingly forgotten since 1930s...

#37     Feb 26, 2004
  8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

With the exception of Neil, I'd say forgotten entirely.

I'm assuming you've read Dunnigan. If not, you would enjoy his One-Way Formula book (now re-issued in a very nice presentation). It's more about a journey than a destination. In fact, the book isn't "finished".

#38     Feb 26, 2004
  9. 1. The Master Swing Trader: Tools and Techniques to Profit from Outstanding Short-Term Trading Opportunities - Alan S. Farley; Hardcover
    BUY

2. Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets: A Comprehensive Guide to Trading Methods and Applications - John J. Murphy; Hardcover OK book for beginners,, text book TA (WON't make you money)

3. The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy - Thomas J. Stanley, William D. Danko; Paperback

don't know if good

4. High Probability trading - Marcel Link; Hardcover

not great if I have the right book in mind

5. How To Make Money In Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad, 3rd Edition - William J. O'Neil; Paperback

Buy his latest book, more comprehensive

6. The Nasdaq Trader's Toolkit - M. Rogan LaBier (Author); Hardcover
    totally outdated - trash can

7. Techniques of Tape Reading - Vadym Graifer, Christopher Schumacher; Hardcover
    don't know

8. How to Pick Stocks Like Warren Buffett: Profiting from the Bargain Hunting Strategies of the World's Greatest Value Investor - Timothy P. Vick; Hardcover

don't know

9. The Warren Buffett Way, _ : Investment Strategies of the World's Greatest Investor - Robert G. Hagstrom (Author); Mass Market Paperback

don't know

10. Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom - Van K. Tharp, K. Tharp; Hardcover
    entertaining

11. Financial Freedom Through Electronic Day Trading - Van K. Tharp, et al; Hardcover

same

12. How to Take Money from Wall Street: Learn to Profit in Bull and Bear Markets - Tony Oz; Hardcover
    don't know supposedly good , likely outdated (mania days)

13. The Weekend Millionaire's Secrets to Investing in Real Estate: How to Become Wealthy in Your Spare Time - Mike Summey, Roger Dawson; Paperback

?

14. Investing in Real Estate, Fourth Edition - Andrew McLean (Author), Gary W. Eldred (Author); Paperback

? what's real estate?

15. Japanese Candlestick Charting - Second Edition - Steve Nison; Hardcover

Looks nice on the shelve

16. Reminiscences of a Stock Operator

BEST BOOK
    17. The New Market Wizards

BEST BOOK #2

18. Technical Analysis Explained : The Successful Investor's Guide to Spotting Investment Trends and Turning Points

don't know, is it by Pring?

#39     Feb 26, 2004
  10. Drprotrader mentioned proof;
    Jack Schwager presented enough evidence for most , in top trader books..:cool:

Perhaps not as much proof or trading excellance;
    but close to it -Bulls bears & Millionaires by Robert Koppel .

:cool:

#40     Feb 27, 2004