Some advice & ideas sought....

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Mo06, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Mo06

Mo06

Have a problem/project and maybe somebody can give me some ideas.

Right now, I have an Excel spreadsheet, and use links to MT4 via DDE to update it in real time with stock price data.

What I want is to replicate this BUT using my subscription stocks feed as a data source, and be able to include calculated cells based on the prices from the feed.

The feed is HTML based.

What I'm wondering is, is there a way to scrape this data in real time...?

I'm a pretty decent VBA programmer (previous life was doing this in the City of London).

Years ago I built a little app using a 3rd part add on to VB called 'Data Widgets' - that's the sort of interface I want, just a simple grid of cells showing OHLV data PLUS a few calculted values which I will add.

https://www.componentsource.com/product/data-widgets

So any ideas .....?

2. Mo06

Mo06

I should have added that I don't need an excel based solution - just something I can run & will show me live data from the data feed, in a nice grid format.

3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I'm not understanding how you don't have what you want in front of you.

4. Mo06

Mo06

"I'm not understanding how you don't have what you want in front of you."

Well, I have the live price feed, but what I really want is the data... PLUS several calculated values, based on the price data.

Short of getting my data feed provider to modify their data to include these values, I have to calculate them myself.

I can do in this Excel via MT4 & DDE, but my current data provider doesn't provide an MT4 platform.

5. Mo06

Mo06

[​IMG]

This is the data feed.

6. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

So, if I read this correctly, you *have* a feed, but it's html.

1) I *believe* Excel is perfectly happy accepting live html (or xml).
    I use OpenOffice, so I don't know the particulars, but my memory says you're good to go.

2) FWIW, OpenOffice is perfectly happy accepting (real-time) xml, and an instance of Calc would be much smaller load on your resources, *and* more stable. If your needs are little more than a couple of prices and some quick/dirty calculations, you would probably be up*running with OpenOffice in no time.

7. poorboy

poorboy

auto-it
    also google "web scraper"

8. Mo06

Mo06

auto-it ...?

9. poorboy

poorboy

You can do about anything with auto-it. I once had auto-it doing about 40 percent of my job on one contract.

10. wtfauoa

wtfauoa

It all depends on what you want to see, and how much customization you want for your trading approach. I think it is hard to beat Excel for almost anything to do with customizing trading data, so I do not look elsewhere.

[​IMG]

#10     Feb 23, 2017