Some 3,000 Millionaires Claim Jobless Benefits, IRS Data Show

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Banjo, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Government does not have the power to print money. The government prints treasury bonds which the federal reserve and others then buy. If everyone stopped buying bonds, then the government could not overspend.

#11     Oct 1, 2010
  2. Everything's bottom of the barrel these days. We suck, but apparently suck less than others. If anyone wants safe bonds, it's still our bonds, baby :D

#12     Oct 1, 2010
  3. ptrjon

ptrjon

you won't find a whole lot of republican or libertarian retarted adults or people whose parents made them drop out of high school to work when they were 15. If your political theory involves neglecting the poor and less fortunate, then you're a little too right wing to have attract any listeners in political discussion. I like ron paul, but there's no way the majority would vote for his platform as it was in 2008. And if you're just against a republic where every citizen gets a vote regardless of wealth or status, then you're un-American. Also, if you want to leave the poor without money, realize that your ideals would cause the consumer driven economy to contract in such a way that our economy would collapse. It's the ugly situation we're in- and believe it or not, you won't find the answers on conservative talk radio.

#13     Oct 1, 2010
  4. Check again, the number's not even close to 10%.

#14     Oct 1, 2010
  5. piezoe

piezoe

Those "tens of thousands" can not escape indirect taxation via inflation nor, assuming they have any earned income, can they escape from social security and medicare contributions and state and municipal sales tax. The only tax they don't pay is the Federal income tax which is refunded to them. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find that the total tax burden (direct and indirect combined) of those below the poverty line is a higher percentage of their income then for some wealthy persons with large, tax favored, non-earned income.

If you're concerned that the poor are escaping the income tax -- they pay it but get it all refunded -- then I would think you might be even more concerned about all the unreported cash income of tradesmen and small businesses that is not reported to the IRS.

#15     Oct 2, 2010