Somali Pirates

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by itcanbedone, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Now you are entering into the swing of things

regards
    f9

#21     Nov 18, 2008
  2. Cesko

Cesko

And to previous poster.

No with the same ruthless efficiency as UN Security Council.

#22     Nov 18, 2008
  3. I think you underestimate these guys tactics and strategy. There is no way they have just popped up on one old boat they will be using multiple coordinated small craft that are very hard to see on the open water and would have hit the vessel and boarded at the same time from diff angles prob by night assuming (probably rightly) they have advanced night vision gear.

These guys aren't stupid or under resourced. BTW you have to conclude Al Qadia will be in the mix down there as well as it is a great source of easy funding and training if they want to go after other targets such as Military (remember the USS Cole) or say cruise vessels.

#23     Nov 18, 2008
  4. Black Water! Now that business is slowing down in Iraq.

Next thing you will see is Black Water going to all of these shipping companies and offer their services in an identical manner to that of the NY mafia.

#24     Nov 19, 2008
  5. India decided they were going to pwn those punks.

#25     Nov 19, 2008
  6. MKTrader

MKTrader

That's great. I was once stationed in that area (Oman coast).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081119/ap_on_bi_ge/piracy

Instead of that ridiculous "Civilian Force" idea, Obama should start a rogue navy that does nothing but sink pirates...with heavy pay incentives for sinking. The shipping companies could add to the bounties.

#26     Nov 19, 2008
  7. Was it the Faina, the ukraine ship, loaded with tanks and weapons, still at large after nearly a month?

Unbelievable, dont you think?
    I wonder if they knew what was on it, because that's quite a pickle-the only people who would pay you are the army/gov of the country you stole it off, I dont see that happening some how.

Not only that, they are very likely in deep shit with the russian mob right now, quite a predicament.

Still, until decent wages and proper security become either legal, or more expensive than insurance premiums, I wouldn't anticipate much change.

Consider, a private yacht armed to the teeth would likely be impounded in every port it entered, but commercial shipping, well, the crew is so cheap, who cares about security?

It was my understanding of shipping laws, that in international waters, you could basically take any action whatsoever against pirates? Whats stopping them?

#27     Nov 20, 2008
  8. Shaqi

Shaqi

There has been no central Govt in Somalia for about 20 years or so. Thats the problem.

#28     Nov 20, 2008
  9. Shaqi

Shaqi

Corruption is a subjective term.

In Africa everyone says corruption - in the West its called something different like bailout, goodwill etc - private companies threatining unless they dont get public funds for free all hell will break loose - even imbecile law makers debating it - save GM,Ford etc .

#29     Nov 20, 2008
  10. Your not suggesting, that without a rigid and enforced rule of law, people just do whatever the hell they want?

Something for supposed libertarians to think about :p

I'm sure the pirates are very nice people, just "doin there job" and all that.

Its 2008........pirates? What? Francis Drake must be spinning in his grave.

#30     Nov 20, 2008