Solution to the BP Oil Spill

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CoolTraderDude, Jun 17, 2010.

1. #51     Jun 20, 2010
  2. http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2010/06/worst-already-true-BP-well-now-unstoppable

""""All the actions and few tid bits of information all lead to one inescapable conclusion. The well pipes below the sea floor are broken and leaking. Now you have some real data of how BP's actions are evidence of that, as well as some murky statement from "BP officials" confirming the same.

"To those of us outside the real inside loop, yet still fairly knowledgeable, [the failure of Top Kill] was a major confirmation of what many feared. That the system below the sea floor has serious failures of varying magnitude in the complicated chain, and it is breaking down and it will continue to.

"What does this mean?

"It means they will never cap the gusher after the wellhead. They cannot...the more they try and restrict the oil gushing out the bop?...the more it will transfer to the leaks below. Just like a leaky garden hose with a nozzle on it. When you open up the nozzle?...it doesn't leak so bad, you close the nozzle?...it leaks real bad, same dynamics. It is why they sawed the riser off...or tried to anyway...but they clipped it off, to relieve pressure on the leaks "down hole". I'm sure there was a bit of panic time after they crimp/pinched off the large riser pipe and the Diamond wire saw got stuck and failed...because that crimp diverted pressure and flow to the rupture down below."""

#52     Jun 20, 2010
  3. Why is the Obama adm. sitting on their"coon dog" regarding this matter? I find it insane that they have not tapped into expertise overseas. These deep water platforms are all over the world. The whole thing stinks. This will be his only term, obviously.

#53     Jun 20, 2010
  4. What if he is wrong and a nuclear blast opens the leak even more and pours radioactive oil into the gulf. What if?

#54     Jun 20, 2010
  5. The blast couldn't possibly make the leak worse. Even if it didn't work I am not sure that you would have radioactive oil pouring in to the gulf, because for it to fail would mean the the blast didn't reach the bore hole, so the radioactive particles would probably be contained in the blast area. by the way radiation after a blast "decay's" very quickly, I believe 90% within 7 hours, and 99% after a couple of days, so unless you are at ground zero the radioactivity will be a non-factor.

If somehow the oil did become contaminated and gushed into the gulf that could create a new hazard but remember the leak is a mile underwater, and the guy in the video is talking about detonating at 18000 ft. Since it will be a low yield nuke the immediate radiation will be weaker than what you would find in military grade weapon. Also by the timethe waste reaches the surface it will be widely dispersed and less potent due to decay. Humanity has tested at least 2000 nukes on Earth, (many much, much more potent than what would be used for this) and weapons today are much more efficient (some are 95% 'cleaner'), than the weapons used against Japan, so there is less radiation to began with. It will not have a long term detrimental impact on the Gulf.

How is this NOT worth trying???

#55     Jun 21, 2010
  6. Shucks PiggyBank, I didn't realize there wasn't any risk from detonating a nuclear bomb in the gulf to try and stop the leak, let alone a need to figure a worst case scenario.

#56     Jun 21, 2010
    #57     Jun 21, 2010
  8. I knew you were being sarcastic in the first post homeslice, which I expected.

The point of my poorly written post was to try and cure some of the rampant ignorance on the subject of radiation. Also, the guy being wrong is possible and I addressed it. Even if it fails, it won't be more of a disaster than the fucking spill going on FOR MONTHS OR YEARS. We have used nukes to seal wells on land, and as I am sure u know the Russians have sealed underwater wells with them. The idea gets the "radical" label because nuclear energy gets shit on by know-nothing enviromentalists and other politically motivated idealogues.

So seriously, why isn't it worth trying?

#58     Jun 21, 2010
  9. Worst fears now being realized, just as some of us suspected. They stop the leak at the end of the run and they're going to blow out everything that's under the ocean floor.

By TOM BREEN and HARRY R. WEBER, Associated Press Writers Tom Breen And Harry R. Weber, Associated Press Writers – 28 mins ago
    NEW ORLEANS – BP's work to cap its Gulf of Mexico gusher was in limbo Wednesday after the federal government raised concerns the operation could put damaging pressure on the busted well and make the leak worse.

An administration official, who asked not to be identified because of the sensitivity of the talks with BP, said the government was acting out of an "abundance of caution" and didn't want potentially dangerous pressure tests on a tighter cap that has been placed over the well to go ahead until BP answers questions about possible risks.

#59     Jul 14, 2010
  10. Tom Breen is a great name. I was not Adam Selene but that became too passe.

It fashionable to apocalyptic.

#60     Jul 14, 2010