SOLR for solar energy stocks

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by medisoft, Sep 13, 2010.

1. medisoft

medisoft

Hi!

What do you think about SOLR? They provide design of solar equipment, also service solar cells and some materials to making the solar cells.

It looks good with P/E 11, PEG .18, maybe a little expensive with P/B 5.33.

The long term growth is almost on the head with 50%, ROE of 65% and compared to the leader FSLR (first solar) looks good also.

I'm thinking on this because:

- I think the oil spill in Mexico Gulf will make more and more people willing to use clean energy, like solar energy
    - China is investing on solar energy
    - Oil will be more and more expensive because we are depleting the reserves
    - Is very possible to have electric cars, like Tessla showed us

Also, I'm looking for this as a long position and long term also, so I also want to do some covered calling on it.

2. The solar sector has certainly been looking good lately and I like your choice of SOLR compared to a lot of others.

Looking at its chart though, SOLR might face some significant resistance near 9.00 so you might want to consider scaling into your long-term position in chunks in case it either has trouble in the high 8.80s or can't hold 7.00.

3. medisoft

medisoft

There is also two ETFs that can be good options, TAN and PBW. The first includes various companies linked with solar energy, the second includes also wind and water energy companies (clean energy)

4. emg

emg

look up this stock WGOV

5. medisoft

medisoft

I don't like WGOV.... very high debt, a little expensive, I don't want to cooperate with the army in any way if possible, and they do things that use oil, instead of clean energy.

6. If you think you found some undiscovered stock, you did not. The solar industry runs on different dynamics than what you mention. The oversupply of panels has been used up for the time being but it can easily come back based on what happens in US Congress.

The bottom line is that the industry has been roaring for 7 years or so and neither of the issues that you brought up matter even the slightest bit anymore.

7. medisoft

medisoft

Do you know about cell fuel? I wish to know some ETF or company that makes hydrogen cell fuels, because in combination with solar energy I think are the future, specially for powering the cars.

Just think on this: your house with a grid of solar panels connected to a electrolyzer that split H2 from water and stores it on a tank.

You get home at night, connect your car and transfer that hydrogen to the car's tank. On the morning you will have your car fully recharged, without spending a penny, and without throwing CO2 or any other contaminant.

The cell fuel can last more than a gas tank, and it can give your car all the power to run as fast as the tessla's cars. The only residue is clean water, it is so clean that you can drink it.

8. medisoft

medisoft

I got this list from my own screener :) I didn't checked all the information about this companies, but they have fuel cells on their products:

Code:
    +---------+----------------------------------+-----------+---------+---------+--------+
    | symbol  | description                      | lastprice | PE      | PB      | PEG    |
    +---------+----------------------------------+-----------+---------+---------+--------+
    | HWK     | Hawk Corp. (HWK)                 |     32.76 | 19.0400 | 3.3700  | 0.3200 | 
    | MKSI    |                                  |     18.63 | 11.8200 | 1.2600  | 0.3700 | 
    | CBT     | Cabot Corporation Common Stock   |     31.94 | 17.2300 | 1.5500  | 0.7000 | 
    | AVAV    | AeroVironment, Inc. (AVAV)       |     23.21 | 24.4400 | 2.1400  | 0.8700 | 
    | GTI     |                                  |     15.27 | 16.2300 | 3.0000  | 1.2200 | 
    | NI      |                                  |      16.5 | 15.2400 | 0.9500  | 4.1100 | 
    | TDY     | Teledyne Technologies Inc. (TDY) |     37.46 | 11.3900 | 1.9100  | 4.5800 | 
    | MOD     |                                  |     10.22 | N/A     | 1.5900  | 6.4800 | 
    | PLUG    |                                  |      0.41 | N/A     | 0.9400  | N/A    | 
    | HYGS    |                                  |      4.23 | N/A     | 1.1200  | N/A    | 
    | ECTY    | ECOtality, Inc. (ECTY)           |      2.72 | N/A     | 1.2000  | N/A    | 
    | BLDP    |                                  |      1.69 | N/A     | 1.2100  | N/A    | 
    | HOKU    |                                  |       2.5 | N/A     | 1.3200  | N/A    | 
    | UQM     |                                  |      2.46 | N/A     | 2.1700  | N/A    | 
    | HEV     | Ener1, Inc. (HEV)                |      3.19 | N/A     | 2.9800  | N/A    | 
    | VSPC.OB | VIASPACE INC                     |      0.02 | N/A     | 3.2000  | N/A    | 
    | QTWW    | Quantum Fuel Systems Technologi  |      0.48 | N/A     | 3.5300  | N/A    | 
    | SOTK.OB |                                  |      0.95 | 39.5800 | 3.6300  | N/A    | 
    | VIIC.OB | VISION INDUSTRIES                |      0.06 | N/A     | 5.4500  | N/A    | 
    | TEWI.OB |                                  |      0.52 | N/A     | 6.6700  | N/A    | 
    | FCEL    | FuelCell Energy Inc. (FCEL)      |      1.16 | N/A     | 72.5000 | N/A    | 
    | MAG     |                                  |      1.21 | N/A     | N/A     | N/A    | 
    | NPWZ.OB |                                  |      0.06 | N/A     | N/A     | N/A    | 
    | SONP.OB |                                  |      0.25 | N/A     | N/A     | N/A    | 
    | SATC    |                                  |      3.27 | N/A     | N/A     | N/A    | 

9. SOL might be another one to watch in the coming days. It made a very nice move this morning. You might want to wait for a pullback though since it is looking pretty short-term over-extended. A move up to 13.00 soon seems increasingly plausible.

10. Listen, I'm not being mean, I'm just being blunt. You're like years & years late with your conceptual ideas. The industry has taken its course. The fuel cell + PV combination has been done, too bad it makes little economic sense at the moment.

Solar is hot, but it's not about the manufacturers anymore, it's about the projects right now. Treat the stocks as any other in play sector. You won't find some undiscovered play, it's not like jumping into ESLR in late 2002 or buying the FSLR IPO (although that had more to do with a bull market, IMO)

#10     Sep 23, 2010