Solid career choices

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Paste, Jan 15, 2003.

1. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Aphie, you are right about that. Be a dermatologist who does hair transplants on bald men and women is another lucrative field. If you are a doctor, you want to get into plastic surgery or dermatology. Things that are not covered by health insurance. So you can really make money.:D

#11     Jan 16, 2003
  2. Just know that in addition to 4 years of med school, you'll have to do another 7-10 years of residency. I think it's something like 4 years general surgery residency, then another 3-6 of plastic surgery residency. These 7-10 years of residency will consist of 80+ hour weeks and a generally insane schedule. Oh, and the residency years precede the 4 years of collge during which you slave over exciting subjects like organic chemsitry and molecular biology, whilst your fellow class mates are all drinking and getting laid.

In the end Bobcathy does have a point. You'll make money, probably more so than doctors in other specialties. Beware though, your ability to make money as a plastic surgeon will greatly depend on if doctors are still getting raped with malpractice insurance, but at least you won't have to deal with HMO's.

#12     Jan 16, 2003
  3. rs7

rs7

Got this figured out (in time for my son).

I went to college, then to grad school. Still never really had a "profession". Owned several businesses, which suited me. I never wanted to be an employee. So now I trade. Sometimes it's good, sometimes not. Got lucky enough to have made good dough during the big bull run, and hopefully it will last a while. And got lucky to have a wife that makes a nice living (never something to be counted on!!!)

As for my son, he totally screwed up in his junior year of High School.

Which may have turned out to be a blessing (I am hoping).

Smart kid, but took himself out of the running for getting into a really good college. So he took the military aptitude test. Scored top percentile (remember, this isn't like the SAT, where everyone plans on going to college,so it's easier to score well). Took the Navy's Nuclear Propulsion aptitude test. Scored sufficiently to get admitted.

So now he will go live on campus at their Nuclear Propulsion school. He gets paid to go to school, and has a total obligation of 6 years. If he does the minimum, he can expect to get a "job" right out of the Navy for 80-100k (today's dollars).

If he goes through with his "master plan" then he becomes an officer, and then goes to flight school. This now becomes a 12 year commitment.

Once in for 12, might as well do 20, and get full retirement benefits (which are payable whether you work or not).

So at the ripe old age of 38 (about how old I was when he was born), he will be retired, and can get a real job. And will be a sought after job candidate.

Like Ivy League grads, ex-military officers are highly sought after.

He wants to do the flight school. Sounds cool to me. What could be more fun than flying F-18's or F-14'?

But he is also getting "rushed" by Naval Intelligence. Which could put him in a true "growth industry" in today's world.

So though my military experience was horrible, and unavoidable, I see a great deal of appeal in a "peacetime" no conscript military (for the right kids).

Good benefits, decent pay (better to get paid to go to school than to pay).

Oh, yeah,,,,,,they have GIRLS there these days too (but I doubt they compare to the girls at the Florida schools).

Just an option.

#13     Jan 16, 2003
  4. Ok...so your key to the career puzzle is joining the military?

#14     Jan 16, 2003
  5. rs7

rs7

In some cases...yeah. I have a stepson who is about to graduate from college and he will go to law school. And a stepdaughter who is a sophomore in college and will definitely go to grad school (actually where I went). But for my son, the Navy program is right. Everyone is different.

It is a puzzle...you need to find where you fit.

I personally know a LOT of medical doctors that HATE what they do. Their families like the money for sure. But they (the docs) don't get to enjoy their lives the way their wives do in most cases. And a few of them are cosmetic plastic surgeons. So they don't have emergency calls at all hours. And they still don't like what they do. Oh, and I know a female dermatologist who seems content. She works 3 days a week. But aside from them?

I was at a Bat Mitzvah about a month ago. Everyone (the males) at the table were MD's. Except me. I was sure I was the poorest and the happiest guy at the table (8 couples).

Only doctor I know of personally who really likes what he does is a friend who is a radiologist.

My family physician keeps telling me he wants to run away to Jamaica and become Doc Mon. He says it would be worth all the money he would give up and especially worth it to get rid of his wife. But he won't do it until his kids are grown. And their expensive schools paid for. So $ $ $. Once again.

Peace,
    :)rs7

#15     Jan 16, 2003
  6. I say don't worry too much about what you choose.

College is strictly to start you learning where your general stengths are. For example, you might think you're a great writer or have a great memory but actually you're outstanding in mathematics or management or whatever. I've switched careers 3X (every 4-6 years) and have enjoyed them all. The key is to know on a high level what you're good at and then move around with the market or with your interests or away from your boredom.

Maybe this is just me, but I wouldn't want to stay in the same field for 20 years. So pick something, master it and move on to something else enjoyable after awhile. Life's too short to get bored.

Then you don't have to sweat what you're choosing right now because in 20 years you'll be doing something completely unexpected...

#16     Jan 17, 2003
  7. rs7

rs7

I agree with this. And it describes how I have lived. But it depends on the individual. Some people are more focused than me, and want a profession. Some want variety. Some just want to "go with the flow".....there is no right or wrong. Just whatever comes naturally and feels right.

My wife is a lawyer. Went to law school, worked very hard to graduate at the top of her class. Hated law. Still is a member of the bar, but has not practiced law in a very long time. (Her background does not hurt her professional career....but she could do the same job without the law degree).

Peace,
    :)rs7

#17     Jan 17, 2003
  8. gynecologist :D

#18     Jan 17, 2003
  9. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

I think after looking at it all day, you would not want to see it at home! No dear, not tonight!:D

#19     Jan 17, 2003
  10. now who's the horny one? hehe Well if I were to be a gynecologist I'd make sure I'd be one in a really rich neighborhood rather than the ghetto. Difference in class if you know what I mean, ;-)

Andy

#20     Jan 17, 2003