Software for 'this' millenium...lol

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by T-Brick, Apr 7, 2011.

1. T-Brick

T-Brick

Hello All, I am new here.

I am looking to get some new software, and ran across these forums.

A few years ago (circa 1999?), I used to use a few programs to do what I wanted, but I have been so out of touch of what is out there now, I am not sure what I need yet.

From memory, I think I used VectorVest to gather a list of stocks that I find interesting. I then used Quotes Plus to download current pricing, daily I think is what I did. And a final program, Window On Wall Street (WOW) to chart everything. Again, this is from memory on the names of the programs and the process involved.

While I still have Windows on Wall Street (I think on floppies) in a box, I doubt it would work in today's world of I7 Quad Cores with Windows 7. Besides, I just looked again, I didn't even put a floppy drive in this computer. :)

I have subscribed to Stock Investor Pro for the couple of years, and this is great for screening based on fundamentals. But now, I would like to get back into using a desktop charting software. What I liked about WOW was that you could enter in some technical indicators and create buy/sell signals; so I want to get back into doing that.

Is this still a 2 step process in getting data nightly (for EOD) from one vendor/software; then using another software package to actually do the charting?

I have been looking at what is out there, and I am going to delve more into them over the coming few days/week; but I figured I would post here and see what old users of WOW switched to for today's software, and not that of yesteryear. :)

Any old WOW users care to name what they use now?

The convenience of WOW was that you purchase the program, and you are done, not monthly fees. You only had to find a EOD provider for pricing and that was like $30 a month back in the day. I think I would like to duplicate my old setup, but maybe today's software build it all in one package?

I have been reading a lot on this site and I hope to become a part of the group.

2. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

I was a WOW user many years ago as well, since then I created a company called NinjaTrader.

- You can use our product for free for analysis
    - We have a built in connection for free EOD data through Kinetick

Start by downloading the software, then start it up, select File > Connect > Kinetick, then select File > New > Chart and go from there. We offer free daily training sessions, schedule located at the link below.

http://www.ninjatrader.com/webinars

3. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

Take a look at TradersStudio. TradersStudio is for a offline product is what TradeStation should of been. It has portfiolo level trading and advanced money management. You can even migrate over existing TradeStation code.

http://tradersstudio.com/Overview.aspx

4. T-Brick

T-Brick

Thank you Ray, I have downloaded NT and will give it more perusal over the coming days.

5. T-Brick

T-Brick

Thank you Murray for the link. I reviewed some of it at a glance, but I didn't see whether or not it will work on Windows 7?

1) Does it work with Windows 7?

2) Is there a 2 week trial or something to review with before purchase?

3) Is there an easy integration for the different data suppliers that may be available? I can only think of QuotePlus right now that offers daily downloads, but I am sure there are others; but I don't know if you have a direct import for certain vendors methods.

6. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

TradersStudio Pro works in windows 7. We don't have a trial version currently. In terms of data vendors any vendor that can produce CSV files will work. Also CSI format and Metastock. We have special deals with both Pinnacle data and CSI data which you can purchase on our web site.

Pinnacle Data
    http://tradersstudio.com/Products/t...cmd/CatalogItemDetails/psmid/657/Default.aspx

CSI Stock Data
    http://tradersstudio.com/Products/t...cmd/CatalogItemDetails/psmid/657/Default.aspx

CSI World Futures Data

These are really special deals. The Pinnacle data is a $750 value. The two CSI data packages are price about half of what you can buy them for on CSI site. We have a special deal with CSI for TradersStudio customers and have not change our prices in a long time. The packages will be drop shipped from CSI so you will recieve exactly what other CSI customers have.

7. So, TradersStudio can work with windows7, so that sounds good. Does that mean that I need to upgrade my Win XP version or will it work well there also? I mean like some softwares run best on some operating systems, so am wondering whether it is the case here also.

8. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

TradersStudio works from XP to Version 7, all versions of windows.

9. Thanks for the answer. :) That sounds good, and am glad that I do not need to upgrade to Win7 for the moment. :)