Software for Scanning/backtesting

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by TonySanDiego, Jan 3, 2003.

1. I have been trying out Investor/RT lately.

It has been a pain, and is not working out too well.

I intend to write a full review soon.

In the meantime I still would like to find a reliable realtime intraday scanner that can scan a list of a 100 or so stocks and generate alerts according to price/volume/technical indicators.

It needs to work with e-signal if possible. Backtesting capability a plus.

I have read that Stockwatch Pro is probably buggier than Investor/RT.

Wealth Lab is apparently a fine system developement tool, but cannot do real time scans. (and .... wow...!! does it look complicated. When do these people trade? )

I have looked at several products' websites, maybe I am missing something, but I do not see what I am looking for.

Any suggestions? Vendor replies welcome.. :p

2. wdbaker

wdbaker

Try amibroker.com I think it will do what you need, good yahoo group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/ one of the most prolific groups for a vendor product that I have seen.

You can hook it up with esig realtime and it is the least expensive I've found. imho simplest language to learn but can get as complicated as you like.

Not affiliated, just satisfied user
    wdbaker

3. Wealth-Lab 3.0 will have real-time scanning.

Also, system trader is a 24/7 job.... you're either trading or doing something to make a system. Like in front of the computer or reading material to get ideas for coming up with a concept to trade.

Usually, coding is only 5% of the system trader's job. 95% of it is coming up with a concept. Trading part is pretty simple, you just put orders in.

A system trader sacrifices and "actually" works after market hours for the methodology.

Bit different from discretionary trader.

System trading ain't easy.

4. Real Tick has added a few scanning features and they are actually pretty good. I have to say I don't think intraday scanning is a very viable technique. Is anyone making good money using it?

5. To be sure, the limited amount that I have been able to accomplish with Investor/RT has led me to believe that real time scanning is not the holy grail either.

However, there is enough promise that I would like to pursue it some more with a reliable program. ( My version of IRT crashes about every third or fourth realtime alert. ) I suspect that a well crafted scan can put a chart in front of you that MIGHT be a good trading opportunity. It also can put an awful lot of noise in front of you too.

I was under the impression that Amipro was like Wealth Lab, that is a system development tool as opposed to a scanner. Perhaps I missed something.

Are there any Amipro realtime scanning experts out there?

WDGann.... I never thought that trading was a simple endeavor. However, after looking at several hours worth Wealth Lab web information, including scripts, I am amazed that folks can write such programs AND find the time to do all the other things that trading entails. All I meant was.... WOW.. where DO they find the time.

:)

When is Wealth Lab 3 due out? It looks like IF one could write a real time scan using the Wealth Lab language, it would be quite powerful. The proof is in the actual doing of course.

6. You may want to look at www.trade-ideas.com we do real-time and have historical data for systems traders.

7. Metastock Pro 8.0 for esignal.

Great backtester and the Pro version allows you to draw the esignal data feed to produce R/T charts with buy/sell signals as they come in.

The only drawback is price: 1695.00 and no monthly or quarterly lease options like Investor/RT. I tried I/RT for a few weeks and didn't like it either. The interface was too damn cumbersome and it just seemed like the people who designed it had no concept of market analysis.

MS8 Pro is a snap to use once you get going and adapt to its logical interface.

8. pug

pug

If you're not committed to eSignal, there is a QCharts/MetaStock lease for $200/mo.

9. My question would be... Can you scan for a watchlist of perhaps 100 stocks and get alerts on whichever of these 100 happened to have a fit to your criteria? Many packages can generate buy sell signals IF you are looking at the chart at the time the signal is generated.

The only drawback is price: 1695.00 and no monthly or quarterly lease options like Investor/RT. I tried I/RT for a few weeks and didn't like it either. The interface was too damn cumbersome and it just seemed like the people who designed it had no concept of market analysis.

MS8 Pro is a snap to use once you get going and adapt to its logical interface.
    [/QUOTE]

Price is OK if it did what it was supposed to... no trial period I suppose..

I will check them out on their website.. if I can find one.

They are all a snap to use AFTER spending some considerable time learning how to use them.

My biggest beef with IRT is that it is not real stable. I get a lot of crashes. It would be great if it worked right.

Thanks for the help

#10     Jan 5, 2003