Software for options backtesting data?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Abundance Magnet, Aug 11, 2018.

1. harryp

harryp

Ha ha I am not trying without watching but I am also not watching without knowing I can use it.

#21     Aug 12, 2018
  2. CML_Ophir

CML_Ophir

Sure. That makes sense. If you decide to try it and have questions we have support (email) which is really solid. We also have a "Discover Tab" with an FAQ section which has several short videos that really take every book and cranny and demonstrate it.

My best guess is you'll love it. But if you don't, no harm at all. Just request a refund, it's no problem.

#22     Aug 12, 2018
  3. harryp

harryp

Thanks. I usually check these things out and don’t need a refund the only challenge being I am set in my ways and new learning makes me pick more trades than I can mentally track (I hardly “analyze” on UI, it is all Ameritrade’s mobile app, and in my head). Will plan the video for next weekend and if I need will ask for help as suggested.

#23     Aug 13, 2018
  4. CML_Ophir

CML_Ophir

We have an alert system built in so you don't need to keep anything in your head -- they come via email or text, however you prefer.

#24     Aug 13, 2018
  5. harryp

harryp

Sure, I think this discussion is getting prolonged but hey maybe someone else has similar requirements. I do not work on alerts. I may be in a meeting, I may be sleeping, I may be in a plane, I can not work on alerts and I do not. I try to find time every day before work to adjust my positions but that's all I am willing to commit. So there may be times when the market is moving 10%, I am not going to leave my meeting and adjust my positions just because I got an alert. I will react to it when I can. This implies I either need to build a lot more safeguards in my position or whatever ... ideally if I am using a software, I give it my current position and it should evaluate it for me, because that is what I would do if I get time on Friday at 10:45 AM, and within 10 minutes I want to adjust and move on. And if I need to adjust 19 positions, that is not going to happen. I trade spreads on 3 indices and butterflies (experimental) on 3 indices and if I am adding a 7th trade, I need to know (for myself) I can manage it and I trust my head to juggle these 6 trades more than any software at this point of time.

#25     Aug 13, 2018
    CML_Ophir likes this.
  6. I would check out www.optionstack.com/learn/. It has an excellent interface. There is a free trial with a limited amount of data, but enough to decide if you like the product/service.

Brooks

#26     Aug 21, 2018