software engineer path

Discussion in 'App Development' started by nickhat, Oct 2, 2012.

1. pupu

pupu

and they will hire their sorry ass over yours 9 out of 10 time.

#21     Oct 19, 2012
  2. In my opinion you might be better off attending a local university in person, not online, to get the full experience.

Also if the course does not require as prerequisite an undergraduate engineering or science degree, it may be taught at a low level and get little respect from major employers. You might be able to get some sort of job with it though and gradually build up experience *if* you have the aptitude and lots of drive.

#22     Oct 19, 2012
  3. As someone who attended "a good university", then "a good grad school", a couple of times..

I think it mostly comes down to aptitude determining success within the automated-trading-industrial-complex. For example, a few of the better coders I know have undergraduate business degrees, somewhat surprisingly.

Find a coder who's really written real time asynchronous systems, to the point of actually preferring to poll when possible. That's a pretty good test.

As for India, and other (currently) low cost regions - there can be good guys over there, but, the better ones usually end up physically here.

#23     Oct 19, 2012
  4. We are having a hard time finding good programmers (especially architects and lead programmers) in Boston who ideally know about trading. I interviewed for 8 months before placing someone. Resumes welcome.

#24     Oct 20, 2012
  5. Sometimes you have to pay the spread, to lock in the talent.

#25     Oct 20, 2012
  6. emg

emg

one of the hint to spot a real good programmer:

1) anti social
    2) can't dress
    3) beloved of video games (xbox, playstation, wii)
    4) cartoon freak.
    5) enjoy eating fast foods (pizza)
    6) become shy when nice looking women around. (WOMEN whooo hooo)
    7) most enjoy rock music

P.S

a good programmer who is an anti social have time to develop a program vs a programmer who is social able have time or will make time with women rather than working

#26     Oct 22, 2012
  7. They don't survive in a trading floor.

Maybe at apple building i-somethings & having farting contests.

#27     Oct 22, 2012
  8. emg

emg

#28     Oct 23, 2012
  9. Humpy

Humpy

I know someone who couldn't find a job anywhere. Well not many employers like their staff to roll up at midday, unwashed etc.

He thought he had found his niche in life as a sperm donor. They haven't found the " lazy " gene yet !

:(

#29     Oct 23, 2012
  10. emg

emg

8) favorite food. lean pockets

[​IMG]

#30     Oct 23, 2012