Software advice: Automated trading in FX

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by A1975, Jan 16, 2017.

1. A1975

A1975

Hi guys,

I have some ideas I would like to crystallize in an automated strategy.

Could you please advice me a software that:

a. resides installed in my computer and connects to the brokers (ideally in Europe) to execute the transaction
    b. allows me to extensively backtest
    c. coding language: I have some idea of VBA (for applications)

Would you suggest me any sofware keeping the items above in mind?

Thanks in advance,

A

2. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

No, not really. A bit of VBA is not enough. If you are serious about this industry then self learn and up your knowledge and experience and come back and others are more than happy to exchange thoughts with you. But there are no shortcuts in life and a half assed approach NEVER works, not even as drug dealer. Hope you get my point...

antiseptic likes this.
  3. A1975

A1975

Thanks Zzzz1,

Then, which software would you recommend me?

Which one is the most famous / used by the traders here?

Cheers,

A

4. carrer

carrer

Ninjatrader. You have to take up C# for that.

A1975 likes this.
  5. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

The most efficient and most beneficial tool to you is called "SELFSTUDY". Pick up a programming course from Coursera or other vendor and start learning how to program. It is a great myth that you can play a little "drag and drop" and voila, out comes a profitable trading strategy. Of course snake oil software vendors want you to think that it is really that easy and brokers have no qualm at being dishonest to bait new suckers. But I tell you from many years experience in this industry that it will NEVER be that easy. This is the best advice you will receive on this website, I am pretty certain of that, at least its the most honest advice.

SMA, CBC, A1975 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

+1 to what @Zzzz1 says !

I would also ask the question. Are you already a profitable (non-automated) trader ?

If you're not consistently making money with your "ideas I would like to crystallize" through manual trading, then I would be very cautious indeed about jumping in the deep end and going automated.

Automation won't solve any of the typical problems of the loosing trader (e.g. poor quality backtesting, over-leverage, poor risk management).

A1975 likes this.
  7. A1975

A1975

Thanks all guys!

I will check out Ninja Trader and see how to learn C++ / NinjaScript on my own.

Cheers,

A

8. M.ST.

M.ST.

The OP wants to backtest Forex. So for example how do you backtest AUDJPY using a AUD account? I don't think NT does it properly.

9. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

You are respectfully speaking, an idiot. Either you waste others time on purpose or you really are just plain careless. Good luck, though, you will desperately need it.

10. zzzz1,, whats ur thoughts on hiring someone to do programming of strategies versus learning the coding language itself??,,, ive been trading 10 years,, turned profitable last 2 after i fully became systematic,, last two years i was doing all my back testing manually on excel,,, ive been informed there is software that crunch what i do in 3 days in 3 mins,,, the biggest thing iam after is should i learn this coding myself or more so hire someone ( as long as its not exorbitantly expensive ) to code my back testing for me??? ur thoughts??

much appreciated

#10     Jan 18, 2017