Sockpuppets, shame, and our ad hominem heavy board

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ricter, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

I also seldom agree with Ricky. And to be honest I have little if any respect for his writings. But for some strange reason I'm kinda glad he didn't get the ax.

I must be getting soft in my old age.

I do have t give him kudos for manning up and starting this explanation thread though.

Edit: Oh and I hope you realize Ricky you're NEVER going to live this down. :D

#11     Jan 30, 2012
  2. Ricter

Ricter

+1.

Though I'm surprised about you being disappointed in today's politicians slinging mud--they've done it as far back as we can see.

#12     Jan 30, 2012
  3. Brass

Brass

That's a fair point, and I respect that. And as a matter of course, I treat respectful posts and posters in kind. By the same token, my pattern is also to respond in kind to posts that are goading in nature. I may have overstepped on occasion, and I should probably put a lot of people on ignore. But, you know, after a while, it feels kinda good to give as good as you get.

#13     Jan 30, 2012
  4. Max E.

Max E.

LOL!!!! You are always the first person to start doing drive bys, there is a reason that half the Politics section has you on ignore already 2 weeks into your new handle.....

Why do you think that a bunch of the same people who put you on ignore were more than willing to stand up for Ricter? If you really believe that you are respectful to anyone on this site you disagree with, then you are completely fucking delusional.

#14     Jan 30, 2012
  5. Brass

Brass

Sure it does. It relaxes me. The thing is, neither of us will convince anyone here who disagrees with us. Maybe in the real world over time, but not here in the basement at ET. It'll never happen. And so, I'm not going to try to score points by showing restraint when someone disparages me or says something notably stupid. Response EquityTM is what it's all about. Trust me. You'll breathe deeper. Either that or employing the ignore feature. Just my opinion, of course.

#15     Jan 30, 2012
  6. Ricter

Ricter

For a couple of days some time back, I tried to tag the reply in threads that was the first ad hominem. Couldn't keep up, this board moves too fast, and in some cases you have to read long threads from scratch--bleh.

#16     Jan 30, 2012
  7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Can you believe this guy Max? Yeah, he only returns fire. :D

Now he is gonna turn a welcome back thread into a foodfight?

I love Canadians ever since they saved my right foot when I got severe frostbite during a heli-skiing trip to Revelstoke (ski boot failure let water in). I can't help but have affection for them. My outlook towards them is permanently influenced by that experience. They wouldn't even let me pay my hospital bill!

Ricter is a thinker who will fire back when necessary and has sufficient intellect and heavy artillery for both tasks. Yeah he goes all Yoda sometimes with the riddles but they are *interesting*.

Gabs is a guy who simply enjoys giving and receiving insults, no more. I've *never* seen him engage in meaningful debate. He says the nastiest stuff right out of the gate. Even being canadian cannot redeem him.

#17     Jan 30, 2012
  8. Brass

Brass

Read my earler post to Ricter and learn why.

As for the rest of your hysterical post, I respect those worthy of it. Nothing is free. And I'm respectful until I see someone's stripes, one way or the other. So I even give the benefit of the doubt. But that doubt dissolves quickly, one way or the other. So, yeah, I've got you pegged.

Since all of your friends ("half the Politics section") have me on ignore, why don't you join them. You guys move in packs, don't you?

#18     Jan 30, 2012
  9. Ricter

Ricter

Max is Canadian, too. Went over to the dark side, though. : )

Ok, where is the very first ad hominem in this thread, in your opinion?

(We're all probably able to fight viciously over what is ad hominem and what isn't!)

#19     Jan 30, 2012
  10. Brass

Brass

You couldn't identify a "meaningful debate" in a lineup.

"*Never.*" No exaggeration there, eh? How meaningful.

#20     Jan 30, 2012