Sockpuppets, shame, and our ad hominem heavy board

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ricter, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Ricter

Ricter

It appears I will be allowed to continue to exist (I'm sorry). But waiting on the decision gave me time to reflect how I got myself into this shameful predicament.

blather

First of all, thanks to everyone for their support. The guys on my "team", of course, that's to be expected. But especially to the guys on the other team. I appreciate the indirect acknowledgement of the problem of firing "from under cover", of attacking those you have on ignore, and the assertions that I do at least try to be fair, reasonable, and on-topic. And obviously, there is no dance here if there is no opposition.

About the ad hominem. It got to me, clearly. I intend that it not do so again, so starting immediately I am going to be using the ignore feature. Not to silence those viewpoints that I disagree with, that's weak and really not my style, but to silence attacks on myself, including both ad hominem (unless it's "fun"), and certainly insults and name-calling. It occurs to me that there are a lot of moderated forums on the internet I could join, where these kinds of things are not allowed and result in a banning. I imagine the level of discourse is higher there. Still, you guys are my bros now and I don't necessarily want to move. I'm doing this because I like the discussion, it improves my game at work, and so I've come to prefer the parts where we all seem to be more interested in learning the Truth, than in tearing each other down (to elevate ourselves?).

/blather

2. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Glad you are here. It would not be the same place without you.

I seldom agree with you but I do have considerable respect for you and your writing.

3. Max E.

Max E.

I hereby dedicate this song to Ricters comeback. :D

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pc0mxOXbWIU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pc0mxOXbWIU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

4. Ricter

Ricter

lol

5. Ricter

Ricter

Thanks, likewise.

6. As I've said a few times... I think you should be allowed to continue to make a fool of yourself. That's the best I can do :p

7. Ricter

Ricter

Fair enough.

8. Brass

Brass

Ricter, you will note that none of these guys you spar with ever once took umbrage at Trailer666's repeated and ongoing reptilian conduct towards you. So their "respect" for you truncates the moment one of "theirs" has anything to say. I'd say that's a rather tenuous form of respect. I think they "respect" you as best as they know how because you treat them almost as real human beings even though they regularly disparage with great relish, if little knowledge, the very group of which you consider yourself a part. Not a lot of transitivity there, eh? So when they write something utterly contemptible and ignorant, you usually respond with a veneer of respect as though they were worthy of it. It gives them feelings of self-worth. And so, they "like" you. Until, of course, a toad like Trailer666 kicks sand in your face. Then they stand back and watch, with a smile.

Just a little context and perspective for you to consider.

9. I somehow missed this drama, so I will not offer any opinions on it. Let me just say, as someone who's been around here a while, that there is way too much name-calling and childish taunting. I've been guilty of it myself at times, but usually after being attacked.

You're not going to change anyone's mind or get their respect by name-calling or insults. Better to ignore than to climb down in the gutter with people who insist on that level of discourse.

The republican primary season is beginning to disappoint me for this identical reason. Romney and Gingrich should be concentrating on Obama's failings and what they would do differently. Instead, they have managed to get themselves tied up in a mud wrestling contest that reflects very poorly on both of them. I am particularly disappointed in Romney. He and his surrogates have distorted Newt's record and taken things out of context. Newt certainly has a lot of baggage and it is fair game to mention it, but it makes Romney look small to harp on it and to be party to distortions of Newt's record.

10. Ricter

Ricter

I think you are right, and I have noticed quite clearly that you do not let an insult slide, you fire one right back, tit for tat. It doesn't help things at all, but your conversations are probably more fair or equal than mine are in that sense.

#10     Jan 30, 2012