Social Influences of Being A Trader

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Li Ka Shing, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Hello Folks:

There are a lot of traders (or wannabee traders) who think that there are no rules, everything goes.

There is an underground industry of ET members who simply make a living scamming newbies. For them, this is acceptable.

I define my world. I want to be proud of my work, my profession, my choices, my accomplishments. When I fail, I want to fail trying my best. I want to try to do things that make me proud not just today, but years from now. Finally I want to feel that I am always moving towards my goals.

I am glad to have a few flakes on the thread so that everyone can see what the choices are, and then make their own decision.

On whatever path you decide to go, good luck in '06

Steve

#11     Dec 25, 2005
  2. cosine

cosine

Very well said. Good luck to you too for year 2006, Steve.

#12     Dec 25, 2005
  3. Andre

Andre

Li Ka,

I'm a capitalist. And I've found as much as people want to decry it's forces, even the most strident and appalled liberal, in the end gives into the type of instant gratification and makes choices that makes capitalism thrive. So, I've long ago given up worrying what people might think of trading.

So no, social perception doesn't affect me. But it does bother some people. And that's indeed why many successful traders get into philanthropy. I have a pretty acute sense of what I need vs. what I want. When and if I ever greatly exceed my needs, I will do something with the excess for others. But it won't be guilt that drives me to do it.

#13     Dec 25, 2005
  4. When people ask me what I have done with my time to change the world, I respond with a gleam in my eye and say, "I provide liquidity."

And then I break out into Goldfrapp's rendition of "Yes Sir, I Can Boogie."

Divine light shines down upon traders big and small, and all becomes right with the world when we are here.

#14     Dec 25, 2005
  5. Cheese

Cheese

traderNik you miss the point .. as usual.
    Why don't you just stay and troll in Chit Chat where you already put a lot of your stuff?
    Suggestion: you need to calm down f**kface and get a life.
    :D

#15     Dec 26, 2005
  6. The social perception of traders is that they are gamblers and their contribution to society is ZERO. And that's a very correct and accurate perception too. All that talk about providing liquidity is self-delusional, traders are about as valuable to society as poker players.

You could of course overcome this perception if you're hugely successful (like Soros), become a multimillionare and start donating to worthwhile causes. Short of that if social perception is important to you - get a job. Otherwise ignore the perception, learn to live with the fact that you'll never be as respected as a doctor, lie about your occupation, trade and enjoy your life.

PS and if you're indeed successful, most of the critics will still envy your lifestyle.

#16     Dec 26, 2005
  7. But what about if the housing market had traders so that when you bought or sold your house, it would be done in seconds instead of months? :) Wouldnt that be worth something to some people?

But you are probably right....we dont contribute anything while we are trading, but we can contribute to society with all the money we take...I mean make. :)

#17     Dec 26, 2005
  8. Think of yourself as a businessman. Anyone can open a account
    and become a trader. Very few people approach trading as
    business (ie even have a business plan and proper funding)

#18     Dec 26, 2005
  9. timmyz

timmyz

just wanted to add that there is a common misperception here in regards to giving to charities. in the majority of cases, wealthy people and corporations (especially) do not give to charities for philanthropic reasons. they give to charities for reasons that benefit themselves.

#19     Dec 26, 2005
  10. Same with poor/middle class people

#20     Dec 26, 2005