Social aspect of trading from home...

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by polpolik, Aug 21, 2007.

1. i guess you could try to rent out an office in your house to another trader? otherwise a chat room is the only thing i can think of. when i get a bit down i just watch traffic reports on tv..now what was i worried about.lol:D

#41     Aug 22, 2007
  2. There are alot of ways to deal with any isolation issues. If the hours you have AFTER trading are filled with social interaction you shouldn't need much of it during the hours you are trading. Perhaps a different perspective like ...Consider your time trading as quiet focused time for yourself to increase your self worth financially. Of course maybe trading just isn't for you, do to problems you are having. I have been trading for 25+ years and have dealt with what you are dealing with. I began trading because of employment discrimination which I experienced repeatedly. I got fed up and went into trading. I have done some financial consulting jobs over the years for reasons similiar to yours. But then I realized I want nothing to do with the people at work at these jobs and I don't want to be around them. I want to be around the people I choose and not around people I am forced to be around due to a 9-5 job. There were many good suggestions given here for you and IF you actually do them or atleast try them I think you will alleviate any problems. Try doing the things suggested, like joining a gym or taking a class in something you like (history, English Lit, Psych etc science etc).
    I would also suggest you get physically active OUTSIDE the home. Do you have athletic hobbies? If you don't perhaps you should find some. Get done trading and go ride a bike, play golf or tennis with people. Call people(your friends/family etc people YOU really enjoy talking to) during your trading day. Get a part time job doing something YOU really like and are happy with after trading hours. If you are trading and making $$$ you can be VERY picky and find something you really like working at with people you really enjoy being around. Do you enjoy tennis or golf? Get a job part time in a Golf or tennis store. If it sucks you can quit.
    If you are having trouble during trading hours aren't there friends you can call and talk to on the phone for a bit during the day? There is also online chat/forums rooms for every hobby imaginable. I interact online with fellow flyfishers and people who share my interest in sports, baseball,football. Also right here you get to interact with people sharing trading. Start your OWN chat room for people who share your interests. You can invite who ever you choose. Perhaps meeting friends for lunch during the trading day?
    There are alot of things you can try.
    I love trading and working for myself and not someone else.
    Good Luck

#42     Aug 22, 2007
  3. yeah, im in a trading room with a few buddies. there are about 10 of us with maybe 6-7 trading actively everyday. helps to have 6 sets of eyes, but its a rare situation b/c we dont always see set-ups the same, but there is no friction. i dont think this is workable in a public forum. over the years, ive gotten to the point where im considering getting a personal asst to shop and do stuff. i find standing in the grocery line and stuff like that to be really annoying these days. one day in teh quik check, some lady bought $181.82 in groceries. oofa!

#43     Aug 22, 2007
  4. trading from home rawks, no interuptions. I like socializing but I don't need it, no ADD here.

#44     Aug 22, 2007
  5. what chat room?..just curious

#45     Aug 23, 2007
  6. Where did you meet these guys you trade with? just a bunch of friends? Unfortunately, I don't have any personal friends that know anything about trading.

One thing I have considered though, once I build my account up further, is to hire traders who will trade my money and give them a cut of the profit.

#46     Aug 23, 2007
  7. I trade from home where I got my wive and kids all around me. Naturally, during some plays, particularly scalps, I prefer peace and quite to achieve greater concentration but when the market begs for patience it's nice to have them around :)

There is also music and web browsing, sometimes I incorporate Instant Messenger with fellow traders to exchange views, etc.

It's not as lonely as it seems.

Besides, once the market closes, you can always go out for some fresh air and begin to socialize.

Anek

#47     Aug 23, 2007
  8. lindq

lindq

Trading, like sex, is best done in privacy.

I can't imagine trying to trade a busy intraday market sitting in a closed space with other traders trying to converse.

#48     Aug 23, 2007
  9. Sex while trading, not a bad idea.

Going Long!

Anek :D

#49     Aug 23, 2007
  10. It is really simple. Trade or quit. Now, let's be honest. 99% of responders here are on boss's computer, playing the wannabe trader game, like me. Oops, here he comes, bye bye...

#50     Aug 23, 2007