So you want to be a Stock Trader?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by 2manywhiners, Nov 8, 2006.

1. I'm sure I'll add some more to these subjects later, but for now... Well said. New traders take note, different trading setups for different market conditions is one thing books rarely mention. However, as whitster explained, trading styles that change with market conditions are very integral for many traders. Listen to what the market is telling you and make your trades accordingly.

In regards to the first part of the post, yes this is part of what I try to explain when I talk about aligning the different variables. A well stated post andread. As far as purely mechanical rule-based trading goes, I'm probably the last person who should comment on their performance... I've never traded a mechanical, any-idiot-can-do-this, system. In the long-term, I don't think there is one that can consistently outperform discretionary trading. Mechanical systems can often times forget what truly moves prices... the herd's sentiment. Good post.

I'd prefer to have some others join in on this topic, but I have a few things to add myself... "He's no hero": If a trader made a 70% net in 1999 or even 60% in 2003, one could say that "he's no hero" although I wouldn't... If a trader made (with a sizable account) 40% net in 2004 or 2005, he has some serious credibility though. Take a look at some NASDAQ charts from those years, you'll see what I'm talking about. On the flip, If a professional trader (with the ability to short multiple vessels) lost 40% or more during 00/01 or 2002 then he's a retard (this is arguable because in 01/02 everyone thought it was just a pullback for quite a while, so for arguments sake lets just say during the several month span of the biggest drops in the techs). Nobody is a hero while the trend is their friend, but when you outperform a trend (or perform well without one), that's something to be acknowledged and held in high regards when discussing one's ability.

During a long-term bear, rebounds usually run (up) longer but over shorter periods of time. During long-term bulls, pullbacks usually run (down) longer but over shorter periods of time than the overall bullish trends. (Did that make any sense?)

Typically, most traders aren't as comfortable going short as they are long, and it's easier to get into a trade at the appropriate time when buying than it is selling. Some setups disappear right after you finally get your short position, if you even get into the move at all. The opportunities and setups in bear markets are the same (albeit polar opposites of bulls), but quality entries just aren't as prevalent. Trading in bull markets isn't really any easier than trading in bears, I'd say it's just a LOT more convenient. Another problem is wanting to short something that your broker doesn't offer. If it's an intra-day setup, fuggetabowdit. If it is a swing or investment setup, most brokers will work with you and attain shortable shares from elsewhere, but if you aren't trading with much size, good luck finding quality (and timely) special treatment.

You're welcome. (ego stroking is fun :p) Feel free to add or ask.

For young traders (in my opinion) the best bet is to learn patience. Not just in the length of trade, but patience in stock selection, patience in market timing, patience in exiting trades, heck... patience with the learning process too. Overtrading is a common mistake made by young traders (and sometimes experienced ones too). The markets move very quickly (on good days anyway) but the ability to use good judgement and determine when to not trade is easily as important as what to do with a stock that is stuck in the mud.

To answer your specific question though, if you're holding a stock that is moving only a few pennies and/or see-sawing back and forth, then just get out of it... unless it's only been a few minutes and your expected trade time is hours. (New traders, write down the entry time if you have to, just don't make assumptions about how long you've been in a trade. When you're still green, twelve minute trades feel like hours.) When a position is/was just chopping around, look for something else... Can't find anything? Then don't trade anything. If a stock is approaching a stop loss, and is showing you little reason to stay in for a bounce back, then go ahead and exit. Just remember to exit when you're supposed to exit. Don't keep mental stops, you'll end up watching it blow right by them. Don't jump right back in after taking an exit from a losing position either, especially when it has yet to re-pass your first entry, or if you can't find any other quality setups. Don't overtrade. If you've made several trades outside of your target time-frame, whether you are up or down, then just sit back and watch what's happening and wait for the market to tell you what to do. Sometimes the market just keeps telling me to wait longer, and that's alright. It's okay to trade only a few hours of the day, just make sure that you're trading the good hours and not the bad... And don't use that last statement as an excuse to be lazy or slack off either. If you're not in a trade, do something constructive. Start screening for new positions, or run some laps, or post advice on ET... :)

#51     Nov 16, 2006
  2. billp

billp

Thanks. What about for swing trade if it has not blown past your stop loss yet? Do you wait for at least 1 whole day? TIA

#52     Nov 18, 2006
  3. It depends. If you've found a better trade, and the current one is stalling or slowly (steadily) moving against you, then I'd say yes... Just don't forget about PDT rules and what your broker does or doesn't allow for. Also take into account how long your time frame is, and whether or not you'd probably take a loss the next day to move on to a new trade. If you'd likely take on a new trade, then take that into consideration when making your decision... Just don't exit early regularly for the many reasons previously stated...

Keep 'em comin'. Best of luck. :cool:

On an unrelated topic... I don't recommend new or young traders hold short term trades through holidays either...

#53     Nov 21, 2006
  4. Too funny!

#54     Nov 21, 2006
  5. billp

billp

Thanks. One of my biggest problem when holding the stock overnight is tackling the 1st hour of trading the next day. 1st hour is usually more volatile and have a LARGER RANGE where support/resistance are being tested and gaps may occur.

If a stock gaps below/above a prominent support/resistance, I will know how to tackle it. The problem comes when it gaps/not gaps and trades in the middle of 'noise'. The problem is the 'noise' range may be a rather large one. Also, when price keeps going down (for example), it does not necessarily mean that we should exit our long position as it can then turn up again. The 'larger trading range' ie stop loss that we have to allocate to allow for this noise more often than not seems unjustified to me. Do you have any tips on how to handle the 1st hour of trading when you already have a position from yesterday? TIA

#55     Nov 21, 2006
  6. http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1271907#post1271907

Nice... 27 posts in 6 hours. Nothing of substance, just a little bit of...

SPAM!!!

SpAm!

sPaM!i!

SPaM!!!

spAM!!!

Bacon? No, it's SPAM!

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1272238#post1272238

Lesson number... whatever...

Don't jump off of a bridge just because a Spammer tells you to... See my second post in this thread... (somehow, I knew we'd eventually get to this lesson...)

I don't usually hold positions just for overnights... Most of my overnight trades are several days long, so I tend to wait for a reason to exit when positions chop around inside of my stop and target range... That being said, maybe you should try to add more criteria before entering a trade, or adjust targets or stops... Patience is a virtue, and I'm tired. I'll get back to this one later... sorry. :D

#56     Nov 22, 2006
  7. PM to undisclosed ETer...

...It's unrelated to the last few posts, I just needed to park it somewhere...

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[​IMG]

#57     Nov 27, 2006
  8. The Sky is Falling... Futures Going To Get Killed Tonight!!! http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1281520#post1281520

Just because the ET (and other trading websites) consensus for Market Direction is often times decided by the Bulls, don't hesitate to go with your gut and prepare for the market to take a dive. The early bird gets ...Well... check out December 1st and the first four hours of the day... Just don't start listening to the Doomsday crowd regularly without your earplugs in.

#58     Dec 6, 2006
  9. Posting Live Trades... And Selling Systems http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1284479#post1284479

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Selling a good idea is always much easier when it has already become realized, and has achieved some validity through the observation of past trades. Even then, system peddling will be met with skepticism. And rightly so. After all, if he makes so much money... why not just give it away?

Giving away great ideas that have been proven... that is the mark of a man who has a desire to contribute something worthwhile and decent, even if his career contributes nothing significant to humanity. Unfortunately his lack of greed and generous offerings are usually met with at least as much skepticism and as many critics as the Snake Oil peddler. And why should they not? If they're so great, why would he just give them away? :confused:

#59     Dec 6, 2006
  10. The best advice for a Prospective Trader (hint: Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away, Know when to run...) http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1329190#post1329190

#60     Apr 12, 2007