So you wanna be great?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by top_step, Oct 19, 2006.

1. In western cultures, luck is based on perception of probability. Guys who are luckier are not perceived as better at what they do. People have a tendency to remember positive outcomes, so guys who have more of those positive outcomes are perceived as more lucky. ie, "that guy always seems to luck out with the babes". western culture also preaches that all are created equal. assuming equal effort, the guy who gets more is considered "lucky". it is a demented defense mechanism that was created out of this western idea that all people are created equal.

In eastern culture, you are luckier if you do good things vs. bad things cos bad things tend to come back and sting u in the ass. in this way, luck is based on one's positive efforts.

#31     Oct 29, 2006
  2. gates took risks, pissed off alot of people, and won... sorta.

#32     Oct 29, 2006
  3. i still wonder how he got away with it and didnt make enough enemies in the meanwhile capable of bringin' him down before he was able to complete his grandtheft plans.

#33     Oct 29, 2006
  4. if u follow his early career, he was actually perceived as the underdog fighting big blue, large tech corporations. he was the nerd's hero. eventually, he became the guy he was trying to compete against. by that time, it was too late for the world to resist.

#34     Oct 29, 2006
  5. fletch2

fletch2

Yes, but they mostly work hard at the wrong things.

Fletch

#35     Oct 29, 2006
  6. yep, u got that right...i mean look at one of gates photos at the time...he was a big-ugly-phat-N E R D. :D. no wonder people underestimated him, his image didnt really inspire much confidence other than to N E R D S 'emselves, innit. :p

#36     Oct 29, 2006
  7. same will probably happen to google. new kid on block becomes the master, and then everyone wants to knock him down. america's great, innit?

#37     Oct 29, 2006
    #38     Oct 29, 2006
  9. I respect your opinion, even though for me it isn't accurate. I had to approach trading the way I approach everything - after careful, in-depth analysis. I didn't place a trade for the first year after I became aware of the fact that the internet was creating a situation in which I could place trades electronically.

Furthermore, I have found that when I tried to trade during times in my life when I had a lot of personal stuff going on, without the time to devote my xx hours per night to analysis with no distractions, my trading suffered.

It goes without saying that I am no savant, in trading or any other pursuit. Maybe you are, to one degree or another, and that's why trading seems effortless to you. For me, there is a direct correlation between the effort I put in and the return I take out.

#39     Oct 29, 2006
  10. there would be no love without hate, no light without dark, no male without female... no gain without loss.

intervention by human civilization upsets the balances of yin and yang. hence, tho effort may be required, it has to be balanced... one must also take action thru non-action.

#40     Oct 29, 2006