So why Tesla didn't pick Poland for their European factory?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Pekelo, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

The Germans are a bright bunch and can build durable vehicles (80s-90s Mercs for instance). They've got a stick up their butt about phasing out vehicles in less than 10 yrs over there. They claim it's for public safety, but I think there's an auto workers incentive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

#61     Apr 9, 2021
  2. "bitten all of us"? Everyone, nothing, all? Hey, you speak for yourself. Sales numbers show that most people disagree with you and that you represent a tiny minority. Perhaps German cars are not for you. No harm done. There are enough others for each unit of yourself who queue up and wait until German car makers deliver on ordered cars. You should definitely mention that you need a rodent resistant car the next time you walk into a Ford or Dodge dealership. Or you could just clean your interior car more and stop eating that junk food in your car. :D

You claim to be a Porsche owner but suffer from rodent problems. Something does not compute here. Lol.

#62     Apr 9, 2021
  3. That always struck me as odd and overkill. Car inspections are incredibly tough to pass for older cars in Germany. Same as in Japan. It's a cultural choice. Artificially supporting each others' groups. You lose personal freedom but gain in safety (car related deaths and accidents multiple times higher in the US than Germany) beauty (no much of trailer park trash and shitty rotten homes in Germany). No ugly above the ground wired power and communication cables and poles (all underground). It all costs more but it ups the standards and esthetics. A life choice.

#63     Apr 9, 2021
  4. VicBee

VicBee

I knew I had made a mistake buying my 2nd hand Porsche when I took it for service a month into ownership as it reached the end of its 50k mileage warranty. There, a guy was visibly upset with the bill he had been given for his 4th year service on a car with less than 2k miles. $2900! I don't know which model he owned but he referenced a few other high end brands he'd owned in the past that didn't cost so much to service, including Ferrari and MBZ.
    The service manager was trying to soothe him by detailing the work that had been done, as I listened attentively... oil change, filters replacement, spark plugs...and then she stopped. That's the precise moment I realized I'd become the bitch of a well oiled machine.
    The poor guy looked at her in disbelief as he too expected a long list to justify the high service cost. The shop manager, who had been sitting there quietly and probably was having fun watching the attractive but now humiliated service manager get screamed at, decided to intervene and display his technical expertise which she clearly lacked.
    Turns out, in order to reach the spark plugs on his car, the engine must be dropped. That's a 4 hours job and thus the justification for the $2900 service charge. It was said in a tone of, dude you bought a Porsche so stop crying and take it like a man.
    Within 6 months I had sold my car back to the luxury 2nd hand dealer I had bought it from, took the loss (he was fair) and swore never to buy a Porsche again, unless I was so wealthy that nothing really mattered anymore.

#64     Apr 9, 2021
  5. ph1l

ph1l

Having an adblocker on might have caused you not being able to see the Amazon link. Here are some details about the product.

#65     Apr 9, 2021
  6. piezoe

piezoe

thanks.

#66     Apr 9, 2021
  7. So the only lesson learned is that you are not affluent enough to afford a Porsche. I don't know where you live but where I live it gets down to - 20 to - 30 degrees C. I would never buy a German car here for that reason alone. German cars were designed and built for driving German distances and in temperate European climate. Perhaps not the best choice in Florida or Arizona or the Great North. If you must own a Porsche in such climate or drive tens of thousands of miles a year then perhaps a German car is not the suitable choice. Germans drive their cars less than hundred miles on average, some even just on weekends and commute during the week. They wash their car every weekend, they maintain their cars in pristine condition, the cars there just don't get abused or driven in extreme conditions. So, I can see how they are more prone to repairs in extreme condition or use cases. Re repair costs it's the responsibility of every car owner to do research on reliability and affordability BEFORE a car purchase not after.

#67     Apr 10, 2021
  8. It shocked me too. But I think it’s best for them.

#68     Apr 10, 2021
  9. It is all about making profits. You just need to find a good place to make profits. Tesla is doing good in the stock markets and maybe whatever discussion you are coming up with has another side. If we have to talk about job security, I would rather say the staff and the workers there might be happy if we for once look at the performance of the company.

#69     Apr 27, 2021
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

So a factory opening needs a permit first. Who knew?

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/tesla-berlin-gigafactory-delays-july-opening-date-2021-7

Since beginning work on the sprawling plant in early 2020, Tesla has faced setback after setback over issues like environmental impact and permitting. It all means that Tesla is way behind schedule in opening up the factory, the cornerstone of its European strategy where it plans to churn out half a million cars annually.

Elon Musk vs. German bureaucracy
    Tesla has hit one bureaucratic slowdown after another since it broke ground in the small town of Grünheide, near Berlin.

In December, Tesla was forced to temporarily stop constructing parts of the plant after it failed to pay a €100 million deposit on time. In June, it had to resubmit permit applications to account for a battery-production facility. The public now has until August 16 to review the documents and file any objections, according to the Brandenburg State Office for the Environment.

This whole time, Tesla has been building the factory under a series of provisional permits - at its own financial risk - as it waits for full approval from the environmental authority in Brandenburg. Theoretically, it would have to dismantle the plant if the project isn't given the green light, and it's unclear when Tesla will get full authorisation.

Tesla has gotten fed up with the delays. In April, the company sent a letter to the Brandenburg state government complaining about the "irritating" approval process that had begun 16 months earlier, Bloomberg reported.

#70     Jul 5, 2021