So why Tesla didn't pick Poland for their European factory?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Pekelo, Apr 3, 2021.

1. SunTrader

SunTrader

Elon laughing all the way to the billionaires bank sure doesn't fool.

But carry on with your outrage. Mommy will make it all better in good time.

#41     Apr 8, 2021
  2. So what. Does he appear any happier to you than the average Joe? And I don't see the correlation between a billionaire and a crook. Some billionaires are crooks and sell shit quality and others are not. Elon is a rich crook. But I give him credit for having pushed EVs as a first mover. That does not make him to a Saint though. Bill Gates is, on the other hand. Pledging one's entire wealth for philanthropic efforts qualifies for Saint status. Elon does not even make a lowest rank in that segment.

It seems that you are easily impressed by money.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    #42     Apr 8, 2021
  3. d08

d08

4Runner is not sold in Europe as are other models that are in US. Same reason why a Toyota Avensis doesn't exist anywhere in US reliability reviews. I think they have some minimum requirements for units sold as well.
    TÜV is well regarded and based on cars sold in Germany.

I suggest you look at people on Youtube who deal in used cars, BMW used to be the worst, old 7-series were sold below Corolla prices because they had so many problems (serious engine problems).

#43     Apr 8, 2021
  4. So, the 4runners driven in Europe are all after market imports? Well, perhaps anecdotal evidence on Youtube is all we have to get an impression. I don't know what BMW model years you refer to but I don't think newer model years suffer from serious engine problems. Re electronics I don't think comparing a 7 series with a base Hyundai with a body, 4 wheels and an engine is a fair comparison. Which Hyundai models have level 5 parking modes and all the other features a 7 series has? Per your own link the less features the more reliable holds generally true. The less breaking parts the less chance things break. :D Hyundai usually plays it very safe with basic car concepts. They don't have any serious offroader nor luxury car in their segment outside of Korea. And in their standard segment I don't see how they run leaps around other comparable Toyota models, for example. They seem to try to fish for customers with their generous warranty and low pricing, some of which borders price dumping to gain market share.

Here is a gold example of the naive approach most ranking websites take:

https://repairpal.com/reliability/hyundai
    https://repairpal.com/bmw

They state Hyundai on average has an annual repair and maintenance cost of close to 500 dollars while BMW amounts to almost 1000. That caused the website to place Hyundai on slot 4 among all manufacturers while BMW ended up on place 32.lol.of course they conveniently omit that BMW on average costs significantly more than a Hyundai and sports significantly more features and technology. If you compare an equally priced and equipped BMW with Hyundai I don't think the maintenance costs will be too different.

You can't compare a modern mansion with high tech heating and air conditioning systems with a rancher style home with baseboard heaters.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    #44     Apr 8, 2021
  5. d08

d08

4Runner used to be sold in Europe but that was 20 or more years ago. Now they're imports. There's exactly zero 4-Runners for sale on the website I checked.
    Same goes with Escalades, TrailBlazers and RAMs - they exist but are imported from US.

Regarding BMW, they proof is in the price. If they are good cars with few issues, the used ones should go for a lot of money. But in reality the depreciation is very steep. Compare to say a Toyota Hilux which can have huge mileage and has depreciated very little.
    And I'm not talking about minor electronic issues with BMWs, they have a high mechanical failure rate. It doesn't mean it's all models of all years but more than a few.

Hyundai has a serious luxury offering from Genesis. Well, BMW and Audi also don't offer offroaders...

But TÜV isn't just another website and they're trusted with the results.

#45     Apr 8, 2021
  6. ph1l

ph1l

This shop agrees.
    https://www.griffinsautorepair.com/truth-german-car-reliability/
    But
    And a non-U.S. source agrees
    His conclusion

#46     Apr 8, 2021
    VicBee likes this.
  7. Cuddles

Cuddles

it's clear what they're talking about, same ol' shit w/a different paint job:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Bolshevism
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Marxism_conspiracy_theory

#47     Apr 9, 2021
    VicBee likes this.
  8. #48     Apr 9, 2021
  9. #49     Apr 9, 2021
  10. piezoe

piezoe

Some more anecdotal car shit FWIW. I've had my share of German cars. The best car in virtually every respect was a 1995 BMW 325. I now own, among my four present vehicles, a Porsche. But I doubt I will ever buy another German car unless it predates they date they started using soy based wire insulation. German engineers have know for years now that the soy based wiring harness insulation they use is a rodent magnet which has caused millions in damage, ask any insurance company. Yet they've steadfastly done nothing to remedy the problem. The don't deserve to sell another car until they remedy this very obvious problem with a very obvious solution.

Incidentally, the most fun to drive by far is my 1981 FIAT Spider 2000, and also in my eyes among the most beautiful body styles ever produced. It also keeps my mechanic busy. But he tells me its his favorite car to work on, and to drive. When he tests drives it, he doesn't come back for a long time!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    #50     Apr 9, 2021
    vanzandt likes this.