so who thinks we are heading down

Discussion in 'Trading' started by brokerboy, Jun 1, 2004.

1. some comments i liked alot and some while were not sarcastic enough. i was having fun when i made that post but on a serious note whats out there to carry the market higher. i have had to alter and cut down my volume lately because it seems that market strength is gone. i have not traded 100k shares in a day in the last 6 weeks maybe.

#11     Jun 1, 2004
  2. IMO, anyone who listens much less pays attention to anything muttered, uttered, spoken or shown as a graphic on CNBC (unless it is by Art Cashin) should consider another line of work and stay well clear of trading unless you wish and have a burning desire to reprove that old market maxim:

How do you make a small fortune on Wall Street?
    Start with a large fortune.

OTOH-the wording of your post shows you have real promise as a market guru :)

Also, why are you worried about the direction of the market cutting down your volume? Go long, go short does it really matter to a trader?

DS

#12     Jun 1, 2004
  3. Cheese

Cheese

I understand that in a billion years time the sun will be 10% hotter than now. So getting cooked may start a lot earlier.

Whats the exact countdown over the remaining 5 billion years?

#13     Jun 1, 2004
  4. i'm worried about it cutting down my volume because it is also hurting my net profit. how the market is the last few days its hard to pick a direction. its hard to go short because size is invisible or is pulled. its hard to use a slip because its hurts your net p&l and stock does not move much.

#14     Jun 1, 2004
  5. lindq

lindq

A key trait of a successful trader is the ability to do nothing, when nothing is clearly the best thing to do.

You are much better off on the sidelines in a market that temporarily is not supporting your strategy, then you are out searching for trades.

I'm not aware of any strategy, in any market, that will readily generate winning trades in every market environment. There are many days, and sometimes weeks, when cash is king.

Experience is a great teacher here. Over time, you'll learn the days when you can probably shine, and the days when you'll probably suck, and you gain the patience to step aside when necessary.

#15     Jun 1, 2004
  6. Mecro

Mecro

Expect more of this low volume no volatility crap. Noone will make moves at least till the oil issue is settled and the Fed does their rate thing. I guess you just gotta get used to it and make what you can.

I expect S&P to go to 1040-1060 before going into a nice strong rally. Oh and I did put my money where my mouth is, got long some DIA jun 100 puts today (thats dow jones ETF).

#16     Jun 1, 2004
  7. I recently signed up for a free trial of a newsletter from an infamous guru, just for kicks. Most days, it goes something like this: "We are bullish (or bearish) today, unless the market turns down (or up). In that case, we would become bearish (or bullish)."

I gave up trying to figure out which way the market is going long term, and just try to hop the train for a short ride each day. In my opinion, it takes alot more chinga than I have to play the game with the players. I'm happy to be the waterboy, and sip from the same cooler as the superstars.:p

#17     Jun 1, 2004
  8. Pabst

Pabst

Good post lindq.

#18     Jun 1, 2004