So when do we get the emergency rate cut?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by dumpandbasher, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Cutten

Cutten

IMO a fed cut won't help, the problems are much more serious. There would need to be much more urgent, critical and decisive intervention to stave off a market crash. A "surprise" cut is very predictable at the moment and IMO would just cause a 30-50 point ES blip which would then be sold into. It might even exacerbate the ultimate panic by suckering in new buyers at 1150-1175, who will then get stopped out 100 points lower.

I don't think the authorities will be able to react quick enough to stop stocks crashing. They have about 48 hours to do something otherwise we hit S&P 1000 within the next day or two. IMO they should forget stocks and focus on making sure that sound companies in the financial system don't get taken down along with the insolvent badly managed ones. A market crash would be good as it would create a true capitulation from which we can bottom and restore confidence. Everyone but the strongest hands would be washed out. It would be far preferable to yet another zero credibility meaningless gesture (like prior "surprise" cuts, and the short-sale ban), that just prolongs the Chinese water torture of this bear market.

#21     Sep 29, 2008

2. If I had to guess I would guess fed will do SOMETHING tomorrow.

But I am net short going into tomorrow.

Not alot .

#22     Sep 29, 2008

3. Price of oil is dependant largely on US consumption. People are betting that consumption will be significantly lowered in the near future.

#23     Sep 29, 2008
  4. I agree with that. I don't see what prupose a ratecut (which does'nt start working for a good while) has in a credit crunch enviornement.

Rate cuts amongst other things is what got us in this mess to beging with.

#24     Sep 29, 2008
  5. sumosam

sumosam

It would put the market on life support til a vote passes. Help prevent panic.

#25     Sep 29, 2008
  6. capmac

capmac

another 1/2 pt rate cut coming ?

#26     Oct 15, 2008
  7. Yeah, a couple more cuts and we are at zero

#27     Oct 15, 2008
  8. no, unless we drop >5% premarket

#28     Oct 15, 2008
  9. bxptone

bxptone

Ummmm noone seeing USD/JPY, lol yeah let's get another rate cut, for more liquidity, WHICH IS NOT THE PROBLEM. ITS A PROBLEM OF CONFIDENCE. When you have CEO after CEO saying EVERYTHING is fine, then a week later, shareholders lose ALL THEIR money, WHO WOULD INVEST!??!

Liquidity? TRILLIONS of dollars in the world and liquidity is the problem? lmao. OKKKKK. That's the BS you get when people don't want to tell you what's really wrong. I.E "IM A SHITTY CEO WHO MISMANAGED OTHER PEOPLES MONEY BECAUSE I WANTED A NICE FAT BONUS"

LIQUIDITY LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is the problem when you have morons like Jim Cramer who has self serving interest, influencing Fed policies and people's sheepish behavior.

#29     Oct 15, 2008
  10. Another 200 billion bailout?

#30     Oct 15, 2008