So what will send this rally over the cliff?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by etfarb, May 14, 2013.

1. at a guess we've got about another 80-90 ES points of quite relentless upside to go before any sort of correction.

#31     May 15, 2013
  2. TILT2

TILT2

Where does trillions of money come from? Surely the public don't have such power as the working class's wage has been overally declining for the past years. So Fed is the biggest buyer. This time, does public sentiment really matter?

#32     May 15, 2013
  3. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

The correction will happen when the absolute majority of market participants totally accepts the capitulation to the upside. That is how it works. Until then any top pickers will be buried.

Cheers,

MAESTRO

#33     May 15, 2013
  4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Not sure I agree entirely with your analysis, but that aside, the number of average Joe's in this market, or with money to get into it, is significantly lower than the past. Now it's all HFT, some retail, and sovereign wealth funds.

#34     May 15, 2013
  5. if the bottom was 666 the top should be 1666. It only takes one powerful sob to see the whimsy of it and pull the trigger.

#35     May 15, 2013
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

No, HFT makes up less then 1%. The hedge fund industry alone has north of 10 trillion. Mutual funds have about 4 to 5 trillion. I think RIA assets are close to 3 trillion. Family offices probably close to 5 trillion. And guess what. If you look at mutual fund data and hedge fund data you will see massive under performance. Meaning, they are NOT in this market. Most are seriously under invested and begging for a pullback. Their jobs depend on it. There is no shortage of money out there. Then add in to the mix all the money flows from over seas. I think China alone has over 2 trillion invested in stocks in this country.

Let me be clear, the correction will come and it will be severe. I've been at this for 17 years. Market tops and bottoms usually are marked by extreme pessimism or optimism. It's not an exact science and it's not to the exact tick or the exact day, but broadly speaking that principle has held up since the days of trading under the Buttonwood Tree in NY in the 1800's.

#36     May 15, 2013
  7. usually threads started by recent registrations are fos.

#37     May 15, 2013
  8. clacy

clacy

You need to let the market tell you what it's doing, rather than you telling it what you think it should do.

Markets are designed to make the vast majority of participants wrong most of the time.

Stop reading Zero Hedge and listening to Jim Rogers. Sit back and watch what the market is doing.

For the better part of the last 4 years, the market has been telling me that if I'm not long, I'm wrong. I see no signs of that changing imminently.

At some point, all hell will break lose, but that point could be 10 years from now.

#38     May 15, 2013
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I hear everything you say, and I've listened to folks say things aligned with your comments, and different from them, all claiming vast amount of years in the market, and none have ever seen a market with the Fed in this deep. It changes the variables completely.

I guess we'll see. Thanks for the insight.

#39     May 15, 2013
  10. Damn....

#40     May 15, 2013