So, what is the end game with this never-ending U.S. public debt?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Saltynuts, May 19, 2018.

1. So by burn the dollar eves, do you mean just print dollars left and right. That is what I would guess. But if they do that, won't it burn the U.S.'s ability to borrow in the future? And make the U.S. dollar not the world currency reserve? Seems like that could cause HUGE harm.

#11     May 19, 2018

2. I'm not sure I follow the whole aircraft carrier thing. We are using our aircraft carriers to make China buy our debt? I thought they were doing that on their own accord as otherwise the Yuan would appreciate, making the cost of their exports to the U.S. to rise, meaning they sell less? I've never heard the U.S. tell China to buy our currency or else it gets to see the U.S.S Nimitz on her horizon...

#12     May 19, 2018
    Sig likes this.
  3. hmcp

hmcp

In theory we are supposed to be the worlds only super power nation and a reserve currency

#13     May 19, 2018
  4. dozu888

dozu888

The carriers are only 1 of the many elements USA can apply influence/pressure on others. In China's specific example, it does not have enough internal consumption for it's productivity, which is why they have a huge surplus against the US.. on a side note Trump is trying to change this surplus, so we'll see.

In the meantime, they need to park the reserves, and the treasuries are still the safest destination.

#14     May 19, 2018
    Edmond likes this.
  5. dozu888

dozu888

Americans per capita consumes the most energy and other natural resources. The abundance of consumer goods and cheap prices are not seen anywhere else in the world.

So, most Americans will say it is the best.

#15     May 19, 2018
    Edmond likes this.
  6. johnarb

johnarb

I love this thread. Just another bailout QE to fix any financial crisis, no problem. Meanwhile, 51 Million Americans cannot afford the basics.

Nearly 51 million households don't earn enough to afford a monthly budget that includes housing, food, child care, health care, transportation and a cell phone, according to a studyreleased Thursday by the United Way ALICE Project. That's 43% of households in the United States.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/news/economy/us-middle-class-basics-study/index.html

#16     May 19, 2018
  7. dozu888

dozu888

In Milton Friedman's words, capitalism has brought more people out of poverty than any other system... also the poverty line in America is considered luxury living in many countries around the world.

transportation, cell phone, child care, health care - are these basics? according to who? debatable at least.

The lefty media keeps pushing these 'studies' that imply there is an inequality problem.

Inequality is a good thing, it is in the core of capitalism. Inequality is not the problem. Poverty is the problem, yet the left also pushes policies that promote poverty - 'green energy' and such.

#17     May 20, 2018
  8. Newsflash ... this isn't poverty (or at least it isn't FINANCIAL poverty). It's just a &^%$wad sitting on a sidewalk.

[​IMG]

THIS is poverty.

[​IMG]

#18     May 20, 2018
    pushpop likes this.
  9. export oil

#19     May 20, 2018
  10. johnarb

johnarb

Impressive arguments here.

The US is the the greatest and most powerful country in the world, so if we have another financial crisis we'll threaten everyone. Yea, that's how free markets work.

When 51 Million US households cannot afford the basics, the answer is those are not really basics, ya know, they're made up by leftist media. Here's what poverty really is "insert 3rd world country situation". Yup, US went from being the greatest country in the world to being a 3rd world undeveloped nation.

I love this thread.

#20     May 20, 2018