So, what does a good trader make per month?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bat1, Mar 2, 2013.

1. cmb

cmb Guest

I'm commenting on the people that consider making 15% a year trading as heroic trading effort. Some people are saying that making 20% is top Hedge Fund type returns. I personally feel its quite realistic to 30%-40% a month on a 150k trading base.

But for those people that insist that u need 150k to start trading full time because you will be lucky to make 25%, they should stick 140k in a yield stock, and learn to trade with their 10k. The 200k of buying power at a bucket shop is plenty to make 10k a month on if you can trade a little bit.

#51     Dec 31, 2013
  2. Say one has a liquid net worth of 1 million dollars,

If they make 25% on their liquid net worth in a year that is fantastic relative to every trader or investor out there .

If they take 10k and triple it in a futures account relatively small in size to their net worth.......wooptie do.

#52     Dec 31, 2013
  3. xandman

xandman

I think your definition of "realistic" means "possible".

The type of trading that can produce those gains can also produce a loss that is in excess of double those gains. Which means, you are probably out of the game.

#53     Dec 31, 2013
  4. cmb

cmb Guest

I guess if you wanted to attack my logic perhaps you should leave the numbers the same...not just change the 150k to 1 million, and leave the 10k trading account.

why do I even bother replying...:confused:

#54     Dec 31, 2013
  5. cmb

cmb Guest

Thats why u use only 10k of your 150k, you blow it out, thats the way it is.

Maybe if you cant make money you shouldnt be trading anyway, you can always go flip rental properties.

#55     Dec 31, 2013
  6. luisHK

luisHK

Ditto, I'm not convinved it's easy or even possible to double one's riskiest investment on a regular basis but the logic to keep a part of one's net worth in very speculative investments makes sense, and has been promoted quite often - cheap post from Zr1trader, he might be still hangover from the Christmas party while getting warm for NYE - be kind to him :)

#56     Dec 31, 2013
  7. altoid

altoid

why not just bet binaries up/down and keep averaging in one way on the Dow? You will eventually win, my calculations of past data --- it is possible

#57     Dec 31, 2013

8. 90%+ can't make money trading or flipping rental properties.....

That is another reason I believe a 25% annual return in any business deserves respect which it didn't seem like you thought 25% was that big of a deal in an earlier post.

I'll bet you 100k , a handcuffed briefcase of cash to my wrist, meet JFK airport at 12am if you can show me statements of you making more than 25% of your net worth in 2013 I will give you the 100k.

Kidding

have a good new year.:p

#58     Dec 31, 2013
  9. "Never enough" is the right answer.

#59     Dec 31, 2013
  10. cmb

cmb Guest

Rentals dont make 25%...I am saying that if you cannot trade, u have no choice but to put your money in a 6-10% situation.

I should not have said flipping rentals, that basically the same thing as trading stocks.

And the point of the whole argument which you decided to attack me on was putting all of your net worth in a day trading account (while certainly possible, its not required) or taking 90% of your net worth and putting it into a 6-10% situation ( rentals, divi stocks, Greek Tresuries) and take your 10% to a bucket shop and trade with it.

if its structured like that, even if you are flat or negative for a month or 2..depending on your other assets, you can still eat and not have to worry about other expenses.

That was the point I was making.

#60     Dec 31, 2013