So what are the real differences?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by indahook, Jan 11, 2008.

1. I would think the Bush jr example would confirm the wisdom of being skeptical of candidates who get elected through family connections.

I know you will say I am being sexist, but I also think electing a former First Lady is more of a problem than the offspring of a president. With offspring, we can evaluate their lives and accomplishments independently of their father. With a former FL, there is less of a break. In practical terms, they are skirting the 22nd Amendment. Who doubts that the vast majority of Hillary supporters wouldn't prefer to be voting for Bill?

No doubt Hillary is a formidable politician, but she would never have been elected Senator from NY on her own and she wouldn't be leading the democrat presidential race on her own. She might turn out to be a very capable president, just as Jeb Bush was a pretty good governor, but my point is I don't like the precedent it establishes. The whole point of the 22nd Amendment is that former presidents fade away, not have their wives run as standins for them.

#21     Jan 11, 2008
  2. In that situation I will take stupid anyday... :D Less work!

#22     Jan 11, 2008