So this was like trading in the late 90s?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Pekelo, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

Market never goes down, everybody is a winner? Just go long at anytime and wait a little? (also Bitcoin last year)

I wasn't active in those years that is why I am asking.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    d08 likes this.
  2. Cuddles

Cuddles

Feels like an episode of Oprah. A free car suddenly doesn't feel so special.

3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Took a mutual fund... "Ultra"??? Bought it at a dollar, sold it 9 months later for $1.30-$1.40.

I want to say..... '96??
    (We rejuvenated the exterior of a 3-unit Queen Anne Revival. "Yay, us!")
    That was a small taste.
    Played an office pool (My entry: The Detritus Fund -- where I bought/sold according to a 5-minute review of the prior day's WSJ Worst Performers list.... kicked ASS.)
    But divorce put off anything expansive until for another 5+ years.
    o_O

4. S2007S

S2007S

That was basically it yes...never a down day until one day it all ended!!!!

But back then I feel there was just alot more volatility and fun in the markets, today is just boring as fu$k with zero volatility.....

5. 90's was insane, laughing clown, euphoria -- modern times are relatively bland and boring and tame and systematic and logical.

I wasn't trading either in that era, my time was occupied with playing computer games.
    My Windows 98 PC was truly a magical portal for me.

If I were trading then, and know what I know now then, I would have been Dan Zanger 2.
    [​IMG]
    I would be so rich, if I could magically transport to the mid/late 90's market right now. In that environment. without of course the benefit of hindsight. -- and the 2000 crash wouldn't have affected me either, it would just positively amplify things.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  6. S2007S

S2007S

I think I remember that mutual fund, uspix or something like that, it was the only way at the time to play short or long x 2.... then the ETFs came out some years later....

7. speedo

speedo

Way different, this market is steadily going up but in the late 90's, you could routinely take a flat base breakout on a high beta mid-cap tech and make 20-100% in minutes...over and over and over. It was absolutely crazy.

8. Cuddles

Cuddles

Hear it didn't compare to the 80's?

Zodiac4u likes this.
  9. S2007S

S2007S

Exactly bland and boring.......this is nothing compared to the 90s...today they just jam the same Dow stocks higher, and since it's a weighted index it's not hard to take 10-12 Dow 30 stocks trading in the 100-300 price range and push them up 1% for an easy 100+ point return on the Dow day after day after day...

10. did you make 5 or 10 million?

#10     Jan 5, 2018