So these people on tradingview...

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by lentus, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Sprout

Sprout

Spoken by someone using it the right way. The drawing tools are top tier. I use drawing templates extensively and there is no other toolset that comes close.

Been using them for over 4yrs now and have yet to explore/use the social aspect of it.

The only drawback is lack of technical support and programming examples/tutorials on implementing the potential of pinescript.

Ymmv

#21     Aug 22, 2019
    IAlwaysWin and FriskyCat like this.
  2. FriskyCat

FriskyCat

Back in the late 90's I used PC Quote / Real Tick and that was the second best stand alone for drawing tools. Trading View has some great "hidden" drawing tools that most people overlook.

#22     Aug 22, 2019
  3. lentus

lentus

like what?

#23     Aug 23, 2019
  4. heispark

heispark

Have anyone noticed that candle display in TradingView is slightly lagging to other dedicated (non-web based) platforms? I compared TradingView (CQG live feed) to MotiveWave (CQG demo feed) and found TV candle display is a bit slower. Perhaps that's the limitation of web-based platform I guess....

#24     Aug 26, 2019
  5. lentus

lentus

Free version is lagging. Are you saying the Pro version is lagging?

#25     Aug 26, 2019
  6. heispark

heispark

I tested both AMP Futures' free version of TV and Ultimate version of TV using the same live CQG feed, and I can confirm they are both similarly 0.5-1 second slower than MotiveWave (Demo CQG feed). I also compared with Thinkorswim of TD Ameritrade and it's nearly 1-2 seconds slower than MotiveWave..... I used /NQ at Mac for this test. As I heard, TDA's feed looks really bad...... (I am watching /NQ 1 min spike now and they are preforming really poorly.)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    #26     Aug 26, 2019
    MotiveWave likes this.
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Have you tried to compare them on separe computers in your home...one platform on a computer at the same time while the other platform was on another computer...with the monitors of each platform side by side ?

I've always suspected that different platforms being run at the exact same time on the same computer will cause lag in one of the platforms.

I did such types of testing and found lag in eSignal, Futuresource, Qcharts, TradeStation, ProRealtime, TOS...when any two of them were on the same computer or even the same cable line. There was lag in one of the programs

In contrast, no lag when any two of them were on different fiber optics line or the same fiber optic line but two different computers (one platform on one computer and the other platform on another computer).

The same was true for different broker platforms regardless if they were web base or stand alone desktop versions. Most lag I've ever seen was running any two of the charting programs or trading platforms on a public wifi (e.g. library) which is why I now have my own portable wifi when trading away from home...better security/privacy too.

My point, the configurations of our computers, routers, connections has an impact on the bandwidth of each program connected to the internet.

wrbtrader

#27     Aug 26, 2019
    heispark likes this.
  8. lentus

lentus

I hope you're not using TV to scalp or something. Really a non-issue for me.

#28     Aug 26, 2019
    heispark likes this.
  9. heispark

heispark

Oh, thank you for the good information! Yes, I tested two different platforms at the same computer....

#29     Aug 26, 2019
  10. heispark

heispark

Tested with two separate computers (Mac and PC) using the same cable wifi line. TV is now less lagging but still 0.2-0.5 second delays. TOS is also still lagging (DOM itself moves much less frequently than CCG's. Obviously, TOS is not for scalpers.) One day in last year, I found TV candle wasn't being updated timely. Since then, I alway compare TV chart with other charting platforms before I make trade executions. It may need a manual chart refresh sometimes. Personally, I don't trust web-based platforms when it comes to trade execution, especially for scalping.....
    Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    #30     Aug 26, 2019