So, tell me about yourself !!!

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by TheSorcerer, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Cy_M

Cy_M

1 - Honesty
    2 - Responsibility
    3 - Dedication
    4 - Expertise
    5 - Intelligence
    6 - Creativity
    7 - Flexibility
    8 - Quick Learner
    9 - Ability to take directions
    10 - Leadership
    11 - Self confidence
    12 - Salesmanship
    13 - Appearance

Very IMPORTANT include all of the above indirectly in your presenting yourself in a casual and believable manor if you really possess such characteristics.

#11     Sep 16, 2007
  2. You forgot to mention moonlight walks and candlelight dinners.

#12     Sep 16, 2007
  3. rickty

rickty

Don't forget to prepare for questions like:
    1) What are your best qualities?
    2) What are your worst qualilties?
    3) What qualities do you value most in a leader?

With regards to question (2), I'm always amused when I hear answers like: I'm too generous (so people take advantage of me) or such, which implies they have no bad qualities.

Also, I think that when you do say something flattering about yourself that you then give concrete examples of what you've done which illustrates your point.

#13     Sep 16, 2007
  4. timvodas

timvodas

In any presentation, how you say something is usually more important then what you say. If your unconfident in your speech or come off the wrong way then it wont matter what you say...your sunk.

The best way is to rehearse in front of an audience and record it with a camcorder then you can hammer out whatever flaws you might have.

Remember that an experienced interviewer will be studying your behavior very closely. The smallest things will be noticed.

#14     Sep 16, 2007
  5. Choose several characteristics which can be applied to trading and elaborate on how those positive attributes enhance your trading abilities. The qualities can be general but then show how they apply specifically – to trading. No one here is going to tell you about yourself and the rehearsed and popularized “I’m perfect, smart and funny” line isn’t exactly going to score you the job.

On a side note, I once went on an interview at a mediocre firm. I have a quant background, but the job was for some “we need a bitch job listing #32847” position, which I applied to for fun. Anyway, at the interview the employer, after quickly discovering that I had a quant background, went from asking me “what are your strengthens/weaknesses” to giving me a piece of paper and a pencil and saying “you have 20 minutes derive the Black-Scholes model”.

#15     Sep 16, 2007
  6. Joab

Joab

I have no life except for trading, I will get sandwiches for everyone in the office at lunch, I will clean and polish all the trading computers each night and I'm willing to give sexual favors to my superiors. :D

#16     Sep 16, 2007
  7. I like money.

Akuma

#17     Sep 16, 2007