so so so bummed out and depressed trading ES

Discussion in 'Journals' started by smallcapgrowth, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Look at the bright side.... You didn’t start out at TD Ameritrade “ThinkorSwim”. That would’ve been an expensive lesson @ $2.25 plus exchange fees.

You actually saved money...

Oh and really...? You’re upset about chump change like $500... Each 0.25 on ES trading 150 contracts is $1,875. Give me a freaking break.

#21     Sep 20, 2017
    murray t turtle and Max E. like this.
  2. sss12

sss12

@smallcapgrowth ......

Ok, let me try and be constructive.

Your system with risk/reward of 1.25/2 obviously dosen't work on a net basis when cmn, fees, etc are included. So, you did not anticipate the fees, not the first trader ever to leave something out of the equation when developing a process.

I trade options and won't go near anything less than 1/2, and options have the potential of convextivity from gamma which I don't think futures have. 1.25/2 seems tight in any circumstance other than a high win-loss ratio.

So instead of being all depressed and having pissing contests with some of the idiots here, WORK ON either improving the R:R and/or W-L of the system, this time on a net basis.

also, I think that live trading with small nominal amounts is superior to sim to truely test a system. (Unless liquidity/capacity is in question ).

And....costs ARE part of the execution.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    #22     Sep 20, 2017
    vanzandt likes this.
  3. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

you have me wrong but that's ok. there are many coaches that will help you psychologically, but what a trader really needs is a well defined rule based system and experience trading it. when you have this you don't have psychological problems of any sort. this is what i mean.

i have been where you're at and i conquered it by facing the fact i didn't know what i was doing and so i set out with the help of a mentor and figured it out and was honest with myself. i really hope this helps you understand how lost you are.

#23     Sep 20, 2017
    777, Grantx, Handle123 and 1 other person like this.
  4. JackRab

JackRab

Uhm... I think you're miscalculating the fact that he pays roughly 10 cents in fees on that risk/reward... so it does work, just not what he expected.

$500 fees on about 100 contracts (probably more) is 5 per contract with underlying value of 50 = 0.10...

So risk reward net of cost is about 1.35/1.90... don't see a problem with that....

#24     Sep 20, 2017
  5. sss12

sss12

@JackRab .......??? The OP states it doesen't work for him, not me. I'm not calculating anything.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    #25     Sep 20, 2017
  6. JackRab

JackRab

He's just pissed off his fees are higher... he shouldn't whine about it... like @AA_Anonymous said, he's making a fuss about nothing if he's really doing what he says he's doing... (which I'm starting to doubt anyway)...

#26     Sep 20, 2017
  7. I have other life skills where being glued to a monitor 8
    Hours a day for 10 months make 350k-450k. Unfortunately everything I able to make money I hate doing. Guess this a problem I need to deal with. I didn't like the slow pace of trading but willing to do if I can make a million a year. I'm verifiable If u don't believe me. Google smallcapgrowth blackjack if you don't believe me. I went threw this the first time I posted here.

#27     Sep 21, 2017
  8. JackRab

JackRab

Yeah... 400k is shit.... I know... why bother... by the way, have you heard of this thing called compounding effect? Maybe you don't use it in blackjack...

#28     Sep 21, 2017
  9. I won't have a shot to compound anything. 33 percent all in with cali state tax. Leaves me with 268 net - 150k living in SANTA Monica I only get to compound 118k a year.

Got to be a way to make 7 figures on million dollar roll. I'm not gunna go broke trying but there's got to be a way in some line of business.

#29     Sep 21, 2017
  10. I get it if I don't get some cooking in the next 6 months I'm leaving this town too stressful. I have a 700 square foot apartment just to see if I like the area and it's 5k a month I need a two bedroom to be comfy and that is 8-10k a month.

#30     Sep 21, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.