so many Traders are getting killed

Discussion in 'Trading' started by NY_HOOD, Aug 29, 2008.

1. agree, stock indexes have been good. Same with bonds.

I trade ES/NQ/ZB.

great ranges, and pretty smooth.

#11     Aug 30, 2008
  2. Dustin

Dustin

You've surrounded yourself with bad traders. Most guys I know are killing it this year.

#12     Aug 30, 2008
  3. dsq

dsq

the way to lose money in this market is to hold longs expecting a bounce-or knife catching.This is a bear market so rallies should be shorted...going long is suicidal.
    I literally stopped trading 3 weeks ago.The daily 1-2% moves in opposing directions is not my game.Yesterday and today are perfect examples of that - i was sort of kicking myself for not buying mcd at the lows yesterday for an overnight hold and today mcd gets clipped.The risk is against buying dips...too much whipsaw if youre position trading equities.

Soemtimes the best trade is no trade.
    Until the bear trend is over i will favor shorting.

#13     Aug 30, 2008
  4. Thanks for the heads up.

Lovely sell in my books.

#14     Aug 30, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

Most traders are always thinking of "catching the trend". Well, there are times when it's "all chop, no trend".

Traders with a "trend bias" tend to not do well in a chop market. Traders with a "range/chop" bias tend to not do as well in a trending market.

To make big money (or even consistently good money), one must be able to figure out when to play for "chop" and when to play for "trend". Easy to identify in hind sight, but of course that's not worth much.

#15     Aug 30, 2008
  6. buy the dips and sell the rips.

#16     Aug 30, 2008
  7. <i>"To make big money (or even consistently good money), one must be able to figure out when to play for "chop" and when to play for "trend". Easy to identify in hind sight, but of course that's not worth much."</i>

Intraday traders have it easier: sell the confirmed breaks down from consolidation and buy the confirmed breaks up from consolidation.

Buy the early lifts and sell the early breaks. Expect every trade taken to go at least 2x if not 3x the initial risk on a stop. When done right, at least half (or more) trades will do exactly that.

#17     Aug 30, 2008
  8. gnome

gnome

Both of you guys have described how to play "chop/range".. and that's perfectly correct part of the time.

You apparently think with the "range" bias, as do I.

#18     Aug 30, 2008
  9. Yep. The best market in years...

Good trading to all. :cool:

#19     Aug 30, 2008
  10. Joab

Joab

This thread typifies trading in a nut shell.

Some traders do well in some markets while others do well in other market conditions.

After 10 or so years you learn how to trade them all.

#20     Aug 30, 2008