So many pretenders on ET

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by sunggong, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Hey weirdo (surdo or whatever your name is since you assumed that I'm an Asian or something...)

I guess you don't know how to read. Or maybe you do, but your comprehension skills are very bad.

Since when is this thread about me not being able to find "the nuggest of gold"?

My earlier posts clearly indicated that there are a lot of good information that has been useful for me.

I'll make sure to skip over your posts from now on.

#21     Aug 8, 2006
  2. "Although, why would anyone take the time to take a screenshot to show everyone they're making money? What would someone get out of it?"

----> A positive halo effect for all of their other posts on ET, where they'd like their opinion taken seriously.

"If you have a system that consistently brings in profit on a daily basis to a point where you are pulling in more than $200k easily, would you still visit ET and make 5-10 posts on a daily basis everyday?"

------> What if you were a total introvert who uses the net to 'socialize without socializing'? Think getting rich makes a person any less introverted?

#22     Aug 8, 2006
  3. sungong,

There is a basic mistake in much of what is posted.

Like this thread it is assumed that one "something" is valid for a successful trader. But its not true.

Some successful traders:
    - screw around
    - dont screw around
    - lie to others
    - deceive themselves
    - have huge up and down days
    - are consistent day after day
    - get angry about losers
    - are calm whether they win or lose

and so on forever.

And generally people who post a lot on ET get something from it. Each persons rewards are probably a little different. Some enjoy helping, some like to parade, some like to argue, some do a little of each on different days?

#23     Aug 8, 2006
  4. Of course you would still be posting on ET...why wouldn't you?

It's not like you're out island hopping in the Pacific on your yacht with your 200k a year.

In fact, you could make an argument that you would post even more after you became profitable because you have more knowledge to share. (Of course there are exceptions, like ZZZzzzzzzz, who just uses this website b/c he is a lonely loser).

Just my $.02

:)

#24     Aug 8, 2006
  5. You will learn useful perspectives on trading and the industry from following threads and comments by people like acrary (gone now), OldTrader (mostly gone), FaderTrader, Maverick74 on occasion, Hydroblunt, Don Bright, riskarb, NihabaAshi sometimes, etc. Several other ones I can't think of. I enjoy reading Rearden Metal's ideas because they're amusing and he seems gifted beyond just trading. ET is a useful environment to simply see what others think about this or that. You'll notice prop traders who just scalp or the guys who focus on one market only like YM have less useful insight than people who analyze wider markets and trading in general.

It's not a brilliant revelation to see there are other people who provide neither value nor entertainment. Just take their commentary with a grain of salt.

#25     Aug 8, 2006
  6. An interesting post, kiwi_trader.

I can see how it's more about the psychological edge/motivation for some daytraders here. e.g., If you're the type of person that thrives in anything by constantly telling yourself and others the very next level you're looking to get to is already here.

I don't work that way, but I can see some people may work like that.

Then of course, many posters here are already at the next level and are looking to push even higher. I certainly respect that.

#26     Aug 8, 2006
  7. A good post. Thanks, Dogballoon.

#27     Aug 8, 2006
  8. bl82

bl82

Well...my posting frequency here is definitely inversely proportional to my performance -- and for the most part I assume that is true of others here.

#28     Aug 9, 2006
  9. I run full auto every day, so I can post and dont like to watch my systems too closely, or im tempted to mess with them.

Im sporadic in my posting though. Ill be gone weeks at a time, then a burst of posts. ET is for when im bored, trading or not. I dont have to watch screens to trade, like most, but I like to be right next to my trading computers just in case something weird happens, so im stuck here during trading hours.

Lots of pretenders, I agree. You can spot them a mile way by what they say. Very few real profitable traders here.

#29     Aug 9, 2006
  10. StreamlineTrade

StreamlineTrade Guest

lol

But maybe time frame could be an issue?

Maybe not?

#30     Aug 9, 2006