So Long Firefox, It's Been Real

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by dbphoenix, Oct 15, 2013.

1. achilles28

achilles28

What did you move too? Firefox is a bloated pos, but I can't find anything better? Chrome? Google tracks you everywhere you go!

#21     Oct 15, 2013
  2. FXforex

FXforex

Perhaps it's running better because you formatted your harddrive and it has nothing to do with Firefox. :cool:

#22     Oct 15, 2013
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Chrome. And I don't like the tracking. But there are a variety of blockers. But google or not, if "they" want to track you, they will, unless you just say the hell with the internet and deal with the world as you did in 1994. At this point, my personal information is so out there that I may as well have my SSN tatooed to my forehead.

#23     Oct 15, 2013
  4. Bob111

Bob111

i don't think that it was a firefox problem. maybe either settings or something else. cache ,whatever. what i did notice is when i browse thru goog services(which is got renovated all the time and getting slower and slower). i was browsing thru my photos on goog+(f** this s** anyway,cause they didn't give you any other choice,but to accept +) and noticed that my PF usage went from typical 600mb to almost 4gb and Pc was using page file heavily. so -maybe it wasn't FF problem after all,but those boys you are planning to switch on-goog. don't be evil my a** comrad brin..

#24     Oct 16, 2013
  5. I don't see how FF could be a problem unless it got corrupted.

My daily routine includes launching FF and opening 14 tabs simultaneously to get settlements from CME and CBOE and I wouldn't have time to go get a glass of water before they all load.

#25     Oct 16, 2013
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I use Firefox with noscript. Never had any issue with slow or bloated responses. Sure, noScript takes some tweaking sometimes on a site, but it prevents all sorts of scripts you don't want running.

#26     Oct 16, 2013
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Browsers' memory efficiency test:

[​IMG]

"In Windows 8, IE10 and Chrome essentially share the lead, followed by Firefox and Opera."

#27     Oct 16, 2013
  8. I help seniors with their computers, do repairs and instruction... most of their problems stem from their old pos computers with XP.. I almost won't work on that shit nowadays. Why should anybody waste their time with XP computers unless they are paid well by the hour, which people on forums are not [even]. One old gal had a P4 with XP, I got so fed up with it that I upgraded my Dell junk to Lenovos and gave her one of the Dells....

I just switched from Chrome to FF. You just cannot turn off those stupid tooltips in Chrome [that tell you what you are looking at!]. Also, what with the NSA shit that's going on, I trust the FF community just a tad more than the Google "community" [LOL]. FF's extensions are just the greatest, you can make it do just about anything you want.

I have not found a way to open a google doc in FF and have the focus start out in the text, have to click on the text before doing anything, that works better in Chrome but so far, that is the one single thing I like better about Chrome.

#28     Oct 16, 2013
  9. Don't know what that claim was based on. How exactly is FF more secure than Chrome? As for fast, I have tried multiple times, and granted its anecdotal evidence, but for me Chrome is faster.

Tab handling, moving, etc, is MUCH better on Chrome than FF or IE.

I love the sync between chrome on various computers, tablets and phone that I use. That alone is a huge benefit. I find the integration with Google account to be a benefit. Yes, I know about the NSA crap but frankly, I don't think which browser you use is going to impact that very much

#29     Oct 16, 2013
  10. rwk

rwk

In the image it says "Lower is better", but I question whether that is always true. Certainly if you're system is low on usable memory, that would be true. But if you have plenty of memory available (I have 12gb), using as much as possible would seem best for speeding things up. No?

I have been using Waterfox since it was mentioned earlier in this thread. So far, I have not had any issues except that when I launch the 32-bit firefox.exe, it tells me I am running Waterfox. I suspect it is getting that from the registry.

I noticed that there are other "aftermarket" Firefox implementations, such as Pale Moon, some of which are 32-bit or 64-bit or both.

#30     Oct 16, 2013