So Long Firefox, It's Been Real

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by dbphoenix, Oct 15, 2013.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I resorted to that after a while, but too many websites wouldn't load properly, like back in the 90s.

#11     Oct 15, 2013
  2. Waterfox 64 bit here. Never had any update/bloatware/speed issues. You can set to clean cache every time it closes.

#12     Oct 15, 2013
  3. I must be missing something. How did you conclude that your massive PC issues are due to Firefox?

#13     Oct 15, 2013
  4. He doesn't.

#14     Oct 15, 2013
  5. eurusdzn

eurusdzn

I have two partitions. One with Windows XP and the other with open source Fedora.
    I am down to two installed desktop applications requiring Windows so its still a must have.
    Web browsing with unix is faster. I never boot Windows to browse. It may be all the security that slows down windows, i dont know.
    Also, i never open mail on Windows. Ipad for that.
    Having dual boot machine is a good way to go IMO

#15     Oct 15, 2013
  6. rwk

rwk

I had a similar experience about 4 years ago, except that I had two harddrives rather than two partitions. I wanted to install Linux on the second drive without making any changes to the first. I thought that was harder than it needed to be, but I got it working.

The bottomline for me was that Linux is an excellent choice for people who only use their computer for web browsing and email, or for scientist and enginers. I am neither, so I reluctantly stayed with Windows. But Microsoft is really pissing me off, and I keep thinking about changing again.

#16     Oct 15, 2013
  7. rwk

rwk

I had never heard of Waterfox, and I just downloaded and installed it. So far, I am impressed!

#17     Oct 15, 2013
  8. BSAM

BSAM

+1

#18     Oct 15, 2013
  9. JamesL

JamesL

I have been using portable versions of both Chrome and Firefox - having them both operate off of a removable drive has relieved some of the system stress that I used to have. You can put it on a USB stick or Sd card (etc) but best used on a USB 3.0 device.

#19     Oct 15, 2013
  10. JamesL

JamesL

+1

You get so used to (maybe even need a few) some extensions that the software just becomes a memory hog. Look at your task manager when running Chrome and count how many "instances" are running in the processes tab.

#20     Oct 15, 2013