So I spent 5.5 k on new system, only to have my old system back (beyond mad)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikasa, Jan 19, 2010.

1. I agree. When I look at the task manager on my PC running XP, it shows there is around 500 MB of free memory, and the page file is also about 500 MB. What's the point of having so much data sent to the HDD when there's so much free ram!

Obviously there's also going to be a compromise between paging data and leaving it in ram, as the optimal result would require the OS to correctly anticipate the usage. Perhaps XP being rather old, and designed when ram was generally much more precious, is simply too conservative in its ram usage.

SSDs are great for speeding up paging file usage (and other files too, of course) and result in overall faster performance, but I think Intel's 'Turbo Memory' cards are the way to go, and in many cases can provide the same benefits of SSDs, making there use redundant.

#21     Jan 19, 2010
  2. mikasa

mikasa

people like you really do make me sick, I am not just saying that
    I mean it

I've decided to make a fool out of you in front of everybody and for all ages, so that Google can cache this and 10 years from now people can read it

You don't know anything about me, you are talking to person playing 1995 Doom and the likes back in the time, You are talking to a person who can work DOS commands as easily as 20 years ago
    (not that I need to anymore)

When I run my XP, (which is modified NT, see you get to learn things)

I disable my page file completely, at idle XP uses 145 mg of RAM

when I use Windows 7 with page file ON, almost 2 gigs of RAM are used when idle, even after I disabled lot of services features I don't need. And don't have lot of programs running in the background.

So are you gonna stand there and tell me how Win 7 is not a resource HOG

I already mentioned how Boot time is same as my XP boot time on older computer

go back to school kid

go back to your mother's womb smarty pants :p

as for those saying why did I buy 5.5 k computer, What? you never met a guy with half a million in account

come on guys, I am small fish, and what does that say about YOU :cool:

#22     Jan 19, 2010
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Common sense tells me if I had way more money than brain, I would ask professional experts and would pay for their advice instead of posting on the net and hoping for free advice, what you don't seem to like anyway.

You never explained why do you care about the idle memory usage? As long as your games are playing fine and your trades execute fast enough what is the problem??? Lack of common sense? ;)

#23     Jan 19, 2010
  4. mikasa

mikasa

simple, having a deeply intellectual mind

it bothers me that Microsoft touts "better" Operating System that happens to be less efficient than old OS

I am tired of LIES
    everywhere I look I see lies and deception, From Gov, from companies, from people
    we live in a completely deluded world

#24     Jan 19, 2010
  5. GTS

GTS

Wow, DOS and doom, LOL - you clearly have outstanding credentials. I started with CP/M and assembler.

Again, you mentioned that your Win7 is using 2 GB of RAM but you fail to understand why or state why you think that is a problem. Do you think that the OS executable code is using that much memory? How can someone with your vast (*cough*) experience not understand that the OS is using the memory for cache to improve I/O performance. If the memory runs low cache memory can be reallocated on the fly as required by applications, there is no downside to using free RAM for cache except it confuses wannabe computer experts like you who think its a problem.

And if your Windows 7 really takes as long as your XP install to boot then you have screwed up your install which doesn't surprise me at all based on your other ignorant statements.

#25     Jan 19, 2010
  6. mikasa

mikasa

I've already shown you as pseudo-thinker, I won't bother with you anymore.

In fact I think your reasoning will be accepted by most people reading this because they too are mindless products of consumer philosophy.

Good luck learning to trade with the thought process you have. :cool:

#26     Jan 19, 2010
  7. you got tech slapped by GTS, end of story :p

#27     Jan 19, 2010
  8. This thread kind of reminds me of the threads discussing the best
    custom ps jitter chip-sets for HFT. None of that will do you any good, sitting at your home set-up, miles from the data feed and out of the loop.

#28     Jan 19, 2010
  9. mikasa

mikasa

although I am done with GTS, now I am going to make a complete fool out of you

when you one day manage to find some money and buy a top of the line computer system

and you clean it up and run it without necessary stuff and garbage

and you realize that boot time is the same as your older XP computer instead of being at least 2 times faster.

you might ask yourself

might is the keyword cause you are not very bright

you might ask yourself, well shouldn't my system be way faster, and why does windows 7 need almost 2 gigs of RAM with page file ON

When XP performed the same function with 145 mgs of RAM with page file OFF

R. Raskolnikov just between you and me, I am gonna whisper so others don't hear

you are a loser, not just cause you make 30-50 k a year, but because your brain just don't work.

lot of people in Haiti died that were way smarter than you, damn shame.

#29     Jan 19, 2010
  10. I said "end of story". This means you shut up now :D

#30     Jan 19, 2010