So I might go work for a hedgie...

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by The Kin, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Back to daytrading :D

#21     Feb 28, 2006
  2. Not necessarily, most quant modelers and analysts doing statistical modeling are expected to know how to code, in C/C++, Java, and at least one statistical language (S-Plus, Matlab, etc). In fact, the coding competency level expected for quants have only gone up over the years, due to the rise of algorithmic trading desks.

However, the interviewer shouldn't ask any "software engineering" type of questions, such as design, code maintenance, etc. Since quant models are experimental, so it is very much "hack it up so it works", anything involving detailed formal design would fall into the technology area.

#22     Feb 28, 2006
  3. I know nothing about Java :D I know very little about programming.

Anyway, she is legitimately out of the office which is why i might not have gotten an email back as of yet. The suspense is killing me!!

#23     Mar 1, 2006
  4. Is it possible for people to get hired in an hedge fund without a MBA or related degree, and just on track record and certain licenses alone? Not asking for my self (Still in school) but I was just curious.

Let us know when she calls you back :)

-Kastro

#24     Mar 1, 2006
  5. newbunch

newbunch

Possible, yes. Likely, no.

It really depends on what job you are applying for. If you are looking for a quant type job, as The Kin is, most won't talk to you unless you've got a PhD from an ivy league school or something equally impressive.

#25     Mar 2, 2006
  6. Still no call back :eek: :(

#26     Mar 4, 2006
  7. Tuesday afternoon... still not a call or email. I think it's safe to say that it ain't happening. :(

It was really odd because they invited me up to New York and I accepted. But they never wrote back after that :mad:

#27     Mar 7, 2006
  8. Can you shed some light into what the interview was like? What kind of setting, and what type of questions did they ask?

I hate when they DONT even have the guts to call you back...
    -Kastro

#28     Mar 7, 2006
  9. Sorry about no call back...

You should be able to find Black-Scholes excel ready downloads online. I am at the beach and dont have all my resources with me. Try the search engines. Some text book companies have it available.

#29     Mar 7, 2006

10. outstanding reference, thanks....

#30     Mar 7, 2006