So I just bailed out of this market

Discussion in 'Trading' started by kmiklas, Nov 5, 2019.

1. %% True;
    especially since many define a bear market as a 20% correction, or more.Not counting market makers, much more has been made on indexes /ETFs,buying hi than selling hi. True also; some can make more, quicker ,short + lose more, quicker on the short side.[QQQ lost more than 20%]

#81     Nov 6, 2019
  2. themickey

themickey

Well those saying it's a bullish market are in the vast minority.
    The last few months it feels like money has dried up, the buying is sparse and sporatic, it's like the fund managers have sacked all staff.
    That's the bit which concerns me atm, nothing is trending strongly, but I'm still not calling it a bear market, just a lull in enthusiasm.

#82     Nov 6, 2019
  3. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

We are talking about stock markets not planes. People have sentiment and remember their entry and exit points often for emotional reasons. Key price levels on many stocks get revisited and often become inflection points. But I'm all ears. Tell me about some other instances where a market corrected 20% in the fall, then went to higher highs, then corrected the next fall.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    #83     Nov 6, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  4. Overnight

Overnight

First time for everything. Feb whatever date 2018 happened. Largest daily point drop in Dow history.

Then Dec 26th 2018 happened, largest daily point rise in Dow history. 11 month span. Anything can happen these days.

#84     Nov 6, 2019
  5. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

Just to make your point...

Barrons, 10/26/19
    https://www.barrons.com/articles/ba...ll-street-is-scared-of-washington-51572045878

After a big year for U.S. stocks—make that a big 10 years—America’s money managers see trouble ahead for investors. Blame it on the market’s lofty valuation, a muddled economic outlook, or the increasingly fractious political landscape, any of which could stifle stocks’ advance in coming months. Whatever the case, only 27% of money managers responding to Barron’s fall 2019 Big Money Poll call themselves bullish about the market’s prospects for the next 12 months, down from 49% in our spring survey and 56% a year ago. The latest reading is the lowest percentage of bulls in more than 20 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------

AAII weekly survey...
    aaii.jpg

#85     Nov 6, 2019
  6. %%
    Good points- ''all ears''+ commercial planes in US seldom crash anyway.[ WSJ/DOW Jones has had some great charts/candle charts; but plenty of nonsense about PE+ such . Strong stock seasonals; NOT for TSLA, but even that one could reverse. NOT a prediction.

Private planes are much more of a risk ; auto accidents are even much more of a risk

#86     Nov 6, 2019
  7. RRY16

RRY16

You Guys? I was never against him, I thought he was pretentious and FOS @ times but never took it serious. Didn't he make a decent short call on Shake Shack?

#87     Nov 6, 2019
    vanzandt likes this.
  8. vanzandt

vanzandt

F no lol.... it was horrible play. It hit $99. Ya gotta look at the float on these things before you short them. Short AMZN... OK.... short SHAK when only 30% of the shares are publicly traded.... its suicide. Pure retail rookie move. I told him so too. How did he become president of a hedge fund society?
    Whatever.

Surf even gave it its own thread. I had the honor of being the last one to post on it.
    https://elitetrader.com/et/threads/marketsurfer-says-short-shake-shack.291104/page-71#post-4668858

#88     Nov 6, 2019
  9. ironchef

ironchef

But if you didn't panic and stayed all in, by now you would be a lot better off. The problem with us retails is we always time it wrong so it is best not to time the market.

#89     Nov 7, 2019
  10. Louis_tr

Louis_tr

‘Exhuberance is the danger signal, not fear’. Can you please elaborate on this.

#90     Nov 7, 2019