so how did you end up becoming a trader?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Batman28, Apr 28, 2006.

1. lol.. I don't know why would you not believe me..

But, you're right. I was lurking here and wondering how I was going to come up with some money to fund an account. That's when my dad told me about getting in and out of stocks as they go up and down and he wanted to do it full time when he retired. He funded me because he couldn't keep up with the markets, plus I was taking a business class at that time called "Investments". I knew it beforehand, but it was great to hear it from him. Basically, made my day, year.. career.

It was also while taking that class and writing a paper that I somehow accidently stumbled onto this site. That was 4 years ago.

#41     Apr 29, 2006
  2. Atlantic

Atlantic

true
    actually - no - i'm too stupid to do anything else, so...
    true
    sad but true
    sad but also true

#42     Apr 29, 2006
  3. Sorry guy, dime store psychoanalysis hasnt served you too well. I been around for quite some time, I know bullshit when I see it. It's not too hard to spot.

I'm responding to these punk kids who live in fantasy land. I want them to know that they should stop deceiving themselves and shape up.

The problem with a place like this is that everyone will take a comment or a reply to a thread at face value without doing their due diligence on the pathology of the respondent. That's the simplest reason why so many people mistake an aggressive retort as simple playa hating.

#43     Apr 29, 2006
  4. I wanted to be a trader sense I was 18 years old. I dont quite remember where my interest in the markets came from, but I did have this book called "A beginner's guide to day trading online". I read about the kinda money that could be made just by working alone in your bed room, not having to listen to anyone's BULLSHIT. I liked the idea of doing what I want, when I want. At the time my view of the market was... "how hard could this be?..seems easy enough". Three years, and a couple of small losses later I realized that its not that easy...I guess it depends on your style of trading though.
    I dont know how many people can say "I LOVE monday's".. Most people, and this is just my guess, hate when that alarm goes off and they have to get out of bed, and follow the same lame ass routine everyday. I LOVE monday's now, weekends are kinda boring because the markets (stocks) are not open.
    I REFUSE to live my life at some 9 to 5 job, in some cramped window-less cubicle, pushing around the same papers, dealing with the same asshole managers and supervisers. My parents at the time, and probably still to this day, think I'm out of my mind. I guess most parents would love if their son/daughter became a Doctor or Lawyer, but thats not for me.
    The markets offer opportunity, but more so, its the excitement that I seek. NO wallstreet guru knows what the next day will bring, because its all speculation, which puts everyone one an equal playing field (money aside).
    The money can be great, but its mostly the freedom that trading offers. I'm I'm sick, tired, lazy, or whatever, I dont have to go to work, because I'm my own damn boss.

Well I hope that clears some things up.

- nate

#44     Apr 29, 2006
  5. i went to college, got bored... need something to fill my time, something more challenging than what i was studying for my undergrad & grad (currently)

#45     Apr 29, 2006
  6. which is ? :)

- nate

#46     Apr 29, 2006
  7. BS in computer science
    MS(in progress) in computer science

#47     Apr 29, 2006
  8. igor043

igor043

Started swing-trading 7 years ago while working full-time. Liked the challenge. My engineering and MBA degrees helped with both the technical as well as the fundamental analysis. Always thought of trading as being a back-up in case I lost my job. With all the restructuring and finding myself working 6-7 days a week, I finally said what the hell and have started trading full time. Enjoy:
    1. Freedom - work hours I want to work. Have time to exercise, family, hobbies, etc.
    2. Independence - working for myself. Making my own calls.
    3. Challenge - this profession possesses many of the most intelligent and successful people in the world. Playing against the best and continuous learning about the business and myself.
    4. Keeping profits - no more salary freezes or bonus reduction or worthless stock options.

Other than the steady pay, I don't miss working for the man.

#48     Apr 29, 2006
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

We are getting offtopic here, but...

What if the person whose account you are managing is a rich fat bastard (and hidrance to society)?

I could take it further, saying if you are a postman, why would you deliver mail to people who are hindrance to society? I think you got the point.... (well, probably not, but we are offtopic here)

#49     Apr 29, 2006