so how did you end up becoming a trader?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Batman28, Apr 28, 2006.

1. gnome

gnome

Tendinitis.

#11     Apr 28, 2006
  2. What? I think you mean how my dad go interested in markets?

Well he lost a lot of paper profits in his investment accounts during the bubble. Thus, he saw some kind of infomercial where you could get in and out of stocks and sell before stocks start going down.

But, he no longer wants to trade after he retire since I promptly lost it all and more. lol...

#12     Apr 28, 2006
  3. i think what we traders have in common is close attention to detail and a head for numbers, factors which usually come in with people with high math aptitude, such as engineers.

why do it? because we're good at it. sometimes, when you're hitting it right, it's like taking candy from a baby. it makes you feel smart because you're winning.

the only thing i don't like about it is you do it in isolation and i like being a more social being. but there are ways around that....moreover, even in the world of joe shmoe worker, most people don't like or get along well with co-workers because there's all that backstabbing, competitive behavior. that is, unless you're in a blue collar job, and then you're probably not a trader anyway, b/c you wouldn't have enough capital, among other things.

the other type of people who trade are antisocial sharks who like the idea of grinding their heels into other peoples' heads by making a ton of money and rubbing it in or by making money while others work at jobs they hate.

#13     Apr 28, 2006
  4. Honestly, the greed/money factor has my obsessed with becoming succesful at this endeavor. I love the freedom of working from anywhere where good high speed internet is available. I believe anybody that says they aren't initially motivated by the $$$ factor is lying.

Dan

#14     Apr 28, 2006
  5. Its not just the $$$, its how EASY it is to make a LOT of MONEY fast if you are right.

I just want to make me a million and retire. And for me, I think a million will be easier from trading than anything else that I could've done.

#15     Apr 28, 2006
  6. guys, wow, you make me feel at home.

I WANNA MAKE MILLIONS TOO :d ACTUALLY, BE A BILLIONAIRE IF POSSIBLE :d

u know its what u can do with money thats great.

money money moneyyyy.. and wining it just with a decision - with intuition.. wow just makes me feel so nice :D

but u know the truth is, i could make x amount of money that id earn working in burger king the whole year, i can make in 1 hour. THAT WOULD BE COOL

(note, im assuming im going to be a successful trader :D)

btw, princessa, r u a girl? thats strange.

last summer, i walked the trading floor at Morgan Stanley in London, I WAS AMAZEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD at the number of mid-40 females.. i was shocked.. no offence but it was a bigg surprise.. im so jelous

i really pissed off this girl from HR :D i was like oh my goddd so many girlsss? she got so offended hahaha..

#16     Apr 28, 2006
  7. stktrdr

stktrdr

Dude..... they ain't mid-40's......they just LOOK mid-40's......even with the botox.

#17     Apr 28, 2006

8. lol hehe seriously man some of them were old as my mum im not exagerating.. i was so suprised..

lol@botox

#18     Apr 28, 2006
  9. jm73

jm73

i am not full time trader yet but that's what I ma shooting for.

as an engineer, it was not strange to analize the chart and come up with the system.

Most importantly, you don't have to sell your system to make money. If your system works, money is right there... don't need help from spoiled sales dept who think engineering dept. exist because of them.

Who's more superior? engineer or sales?

which one is first? egg or chicken?

#19     Apr 28, 2006
  10. RedDuke

RedDuke

My first fascination with trading came around when I was 12-13. I read a book by Theodore Dreiser, "Financier". It was many years ago, in a country where a speculation was crime punished by 3 or more years in prison. I could not get much info about the markets then, and over the time my interest waned.

When I got to US, for some weird reason, I never thought about trading, just can not explain why, it was if someone turned the switch off in my head.

Several years ago, one of my friends met a fellow who made millions during dot com bubble. He got into trading and gave me a book on technical analysis to read. I really struggled with it in the beginning (it was easy but boring for me at that time).

Around the same time, I was thinking about my future and what I want to do. I like what I currently do, but the potential there is limited. I have never met IT consultant making more then 350K a year. If you own your consulting company, it is a different story, but it is a totally different game.

Then all of a sudden, I got passionate about trading, finished the book with great interest. Thus I started my endeavor into trading world. Once again, it was if someone turned the switch on in my head.

My motivation of course are $$$, but I truly find the market to be a fascinating creature. Before I got into trading, I always was a bit upset when the weekend was ending. Now, I really enjoy both the weekend and trading week with all its challenges (I currently trade part time and building my grub stake for full time trading).

Regards,
    redduke

Let's hear more stories

#20     Apr 28, 2006