so do we get a cut?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by dhpar, Aug 29, 2007.

what happens on Sep-18?

1. no change

66 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. 25bps cut

58 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. 50bps cut

15 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. So far, Helicopter Ben has been anything but. So we'll see, but he's played it cool thus far.

Personally, I think the market is on crack and just praying for a cut when there's no chance in hell. But what do I know?

#31     Sep 4, 2007
  2. dhpar

dhpar

agree with you.

one does not need to be sherlock holmes to understand that something is seriously wrong here...either it is Fed communication, focus, amount of liquidity or whatever else.

#32     Sep 4, 2007
  3. I voted no change; assume we are talking about fed fund rate.

but there is possibilities that fed may cut discounted rate again, 25bp; or perhaps another 50bp.

#33     Sep 4, 2007
  4. dhpar

dhpar

yes - of course. fed fund rate that is.

#34     Sep 4, 2007
  5. dhpar

dhpar

ok - i am giving up here. I voted for not cut - after today i see it is going to be 25bps at least almost certain.

#35     Sep 10, 2007
  6. The biggest problem here is inflation, not saving Wall Street. The government can lie all they want about inflation, and we all know it's pretty damn high.

#36     Sep 10, 2007
  7. Not one single compelling reason for a fed rate cut. Lots of potential for one in the future should conditions warrant but we anot there yet. A revision down in jobs is not enough to bring out the alarms and panic for a rate cut. As of last beige book, economy has shown modest growth overall and job market has shown flat to modest growth in various sectors. Housing market has problems but the sector has overbuilt its supply and that needs to get flushed out.

Just because the market is down a little does not mean the FED will cut rates and any talk linking the two is missing the big picture. There needs to be consistent signs of slowing to negative growth and a trend of job reduction, not just a few months sie job numbers are volatile.

The Fed should simply note the weakness creeping in and that they will continue to monitor conditions to see if the economy weathers the storm and watch inflation. Cutting rates now would send a signal that the fed is panicked or easily swayed by long stock holders who want the cut for a rally. Look where the indexes are compared to March lows of this year and July lows last year. Still up a lot and the fed is nto going to act to keep a potentially overbought market propped up.

Just my opinion but I see no rush to hit the panic button and start cutting rates.

#37     Sep 10, 2007
  8. the banks are screaming at poor Benny Boy.....

no cut and the Dow goes -500...

ex food and ex energy and ex capital goods and ex taxes and ex imports....inflation is 0.000001%

dont worry be happy

#38     Sep 10, 2007
  9. Poole, along with yourself and the others, should do yourselves a favor and actually look at the data, rather than read some headlines.
    Attached is four graphs. The top two are from the household survey, the bottom two are from the establishment survey. All of them show the same picture.
    If employment was a stock, you'd be shorting it. The trend is clear.

#39     Sep 10, 2007
  10. :confused:

#40     Sep 11, 2007