so do we get a cut?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by dhpar, Aug 29, 2007.

what happens on Sep-18?

1. no change

66 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. 25bps cut

58 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. 50bps cut

15 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. gnome

gnome

What we should GET is the Fed "out of the markets on a day-to-day basis".

Guys like Cramer who overleveraged in questionable/crappy quality debt should have to work their way out on their own... and take a few lumps if necessary.

#21     Aug 30, 2007
  2. gnome

gnome

Please put a 4th category in the poll...

"Bernanke goes to shit and the hogs eat him"

#22     Aug 30, 2007
  3. No cut. Not happening, unless some unforeseen disaster comes to pass between this moment and the meeting.

#23     Aug 30, 2007
  4. S2007S

S2007S

Enough about the damn rates, every interview on cnbc is just talk about the damn interest rate cuts and how we need them, there is no need for a rate cut. If there is a rate cut there will be even more problems down the line, a rate cut would just push inflation higher and the dollar lower. They are trying to deflate the credit bubble as slow as possible and now people expect a rate cut that would only keep the credit bubble intact.

#24     Aug 30, 2007
  5. I meant, "If people are scared enough to stop hiring, they are scared enough to stop shopping"

#25     Aug 30, 2007
  6. Bubbles aren't a problem unless they "pop". But if they deflate slowly, the don't cause much pain. I think thats the idea here.

BTW, why are you reading a thread about rates if you don't want to hear about them? :)

#26     Aug 30, 2007
  7. What I said is that new currency unions are deflationary, and raising rates like mad, which is what he's been doing and promised to continue in Sept, is stupid given this known fact.
    Old enough to know how to read, thank you. Apparently, you're not.

#27     Aug 30, 2007
  8. Yep, thats it in a nut shell.

#28     Aug 30, 2007
  9. Or, you might consider a different kind of shopping. See John Dizard in <a href="http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c150e892-54fe-11dc-890c-0000779fd2ac.html:" target=")">the FT on Tuesday</a>:

Some of you, however, have been, or will be, forced to exercise a "resume put". In other words, you will lose your job. What to do?
    If you can't make millions in 15 minutes with one of the trades that has done well until recently, such as a yen-short, Turkish lira-long, total return swap, how about making millions in 15 minutes by marrying it?
    Put down that cardboard box and go buy a copy of The Fortune Hunters by a friend of mine, Charlotte Hays. It's about women who marry money. I called Charlotte, a Washington-based self-confessed recovering gossip writer and professional southerner, to see how the techniques of female carnivores could be translated into advice for the newly unemployed Wall Streeter.
    Charlotte advises you to "buy expensive luggage and keep that fast car so she doesn't know how much you need her. Practice The Look in the mirror". (The Look expresses unconditional adoration, submission, devotion, attraction, etc).
    As Charlotte points out: "You are doing what a woman does in the same circumstances, only it will be harder to pull off because women are cannier. You must allow her interests to dominate, which will be hard for someone used to being a Master of the Universe. If she likes square dancing, then you like square dancing."
    Consider it - you can't be too picky.

#29     Aug 30, 2007
  10. dhpar

dhpar

let's revive this.

after today the question seems to be: "Is Fed going to cut into all time high equity markets?"

that would be so funny!

#30     Sep 4, 2007