So a Bloomberg Terminal is $1,500 per month. Why?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 1a2b3cppp, Mar 22, 2011.

1. heech

heech

They didn't even offer me the monitor setup... I think it's available for an extra $50-$150/mo, if I recall correctly. They sent me the keyboard but its sitting in the corner gathering dust.

#11     Mar 22, 2011
  2. Its an institutional tool. You can do all kinds of crap on it across all types of securities. No, your typical day trader has no use for it.

#12     Mar 22, 2011
  3. Bob111

Bob111

it's provide every possible piece of data on every possible security in the world. can you get it for free faster than anybody else? i doubt it

#13     Mar 22, 2011
  4. Why don't you try collecting rates on interest rate swaps while feeding in world economic data along with FX rates on a real-time basis to make trading decisions.

Let me know how that works out without Bloomberg.

#14     Mar 22, 2011
  5. it's like the Bloomberg mouse, it costs 600$ but as it's an institutional tool, so stop asking for handholding, you can't understand.

#15     Mar 22, 2011
  6. lol look at all the people getting defensive in this thread.

Do I need that info? How does knowing that information factor into your trading decisions?

I don't even know what an interest rate swap is.

#16     Mar 22, 2011
  7. loza

loza Guest

This is for suckers. I remember I used to pay $1500/month for office space(..well a desk with rest room priviliges)/ real time quotes/execution/and just for being in downtown NYC (armpit of america...
    ...and that was too much...
    I wonder what connection/line does this beast require? ...and does this THING trade /execute or just quotes?

#17     Mar 22, 2011
  8. heech

heech

Not much. Doesn't eat much bandwidth at all.

This isn't for reflex trading.

#18     Mar 22, 2011
  9. Well then, there you go. You have no need for such quantity and quality of data. Certain somewhat more sophisticated operations do have the need and then some. Hence they pay.

#19     Mar 22, 2011
  10. If you don't know what you're talking about, then why are you questioning it's worth?

#20     Mar 22, 2011