Snowboard

Discussion in 'Politics' started by uptik2000, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Sems like there are a few snowboarders on the site so I'll toss out a question.

I've been riding for 12 years. My last board purchase was a 1996 Burton Air 155 with Burton Freestyle bindings. I wear Airwalk soft boots.

I love the board. It's a great all-mountain set up. I ride mostly in the northeast. Gore Mtn, Hunter, Stowe and Mt Snow are the usual spots. Had a few trips out to Vail too.

I'm thinking about buying a new board and looking for a recommendation. I'm really just into cruising/freeriding. Not so much into riding parks or anything like that.

In the northeast we don't get much powder days. You have to deal with hardpack groomed trails and icy conditions.

So what I'm looking at is maybe a 2006 Burton Air or maybe a Burton Custom. I also need new bindings. I just about snapped all the straps and the old models are tough to find replacement straps(they have the slip in T backs, not the new bolt on).

I'm 5' 10'' 165lbs. I think the 155 is a good size but maybe thinking about going a bit smaller b/c when I get into tight areas, glades or tight black diamond runs she's a bit tough to turn. Would a smaller size be better or do the 155 newer models have bigger sidecuts to make up for that?

Toss out some ideas for me.

Thanks.

uptik2000

2. jem

jem

On the sidecuts make sure your toes and heels have clearance. Also I have found bindings to make a big difference in comfort and power. Maybe it is just that I got better and could tell the difference.

So to me you have to get boots and bindings that work well together and then pick your board.

3. YEah, I definately need new bindings. The straps are trashed. They usually get a bit loose after a few minutes. I love the Airwalk boots I have and will probably keep those unless they don't fit well with the new bindings I get.

So, bindings are a must, but now I'm trying to decide if a newer board is worth buying. I'm not the type of guy who buys new equipment every year. But I'm wondering if the technology in the past ten years has increased so much that a new, lighter, stronger, board with deeper sidecuts is worth the extra cash.

Along with Burton I'm also looking at Atomic, Ride and some others.

4. jem

jem

I have 3 boards and my oldest is my favorite in terms of flex and ride. I too like all mountain boards.

What seems to happen is that when the boards get worn out, they lose that snappy feeling. Which I would think is important in new england. I have not bought a board in 2 years so I am not up on the newest tech stuff. But I will say I have demoed a dozen boards and there are big diffences. Buy the bindings that fit your boots and go to a mountain with a demo center on the top.

5. Who are you trying to kid. We've seen photos of you wearing your xmas pyjamas. :D

6. LMAO...why you!

In those pics I was closer to 180lbs. I've been eating better and exercising too. :)

7. I sell snowboard stuff, Technine, as a side business.

Had basically the same board for years... Burton Air 5.5

I wouldn't go any shorter than a 155. If you ever get into a powder situation, you'll be hating life on a short board, DAMHIK!!!

Selection is all about goals. In the trees, shorter; freeriding on the slope, steeps, or deep pow, longer.

Toe/heel hang is a big deal too. If you got big feet, get a wide board. The sidecuts are pretty aggressive to make up for any extra width.