Snow because of global warming!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bugscoe, Feb 13, 2010.

1. I don't, but that's a more interesting topic.

Does a science-averse authoritarian personality have a better or worse chance of succeeding at trading? Originally I felt that the better trader would be a more enlightened personality type, but over the years I changed that assessment to reflect that many of the entrepreneurs I've met have been this exact personality type -- fearful, authoritarian, science-averse.

Many of these folks are using MA's, bollinger bands and the like, but with good money management, and making money trading. I believe it's because their assurance that they're right in all things (even with insufficient data) makes them more likely to dive in and either succeed or fail, and the remaining successful ones remain.

A logical personality looks up the data at NASA and other primary sources and can see the monthly annual global measurements. However while the logical personality is busy researching and learning, the authoritarian personality has already made up their minds and are moving on to other things. Some might even argue that this is more efficient and faster -- certainly gets them to the finish line sooner of either financial failure or success.

What other explanation can there be for people still using Fibonacci numbers and Elliot Waves and other garbage, yet successfully making money?

#41     Feb 15, 2010
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

I'm not sure.

But I do know who is profiting from "this knowledge".

http://www.gargaro.com/algore.html

#42     Feb 15, 2010
  3. Tresor

Tresor

Well spoken. This is all one needs to know about climate change on a pop-science level:

<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-1326937617167558947&hl=pl&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1326937617167558947#

#43     Feb 15, 2010
  4. That video is just sad.

The guy's a marine geologist, not a climatologist, his second graph appears to be entirely wrong, his first graph uses an inappropriately large sample size for the time periods that humans are concerned about, he can't even use a powerpoint remote control correctly and even then the presentation had to be edited.

#44     Feb 15, 2010
  5. Tresor

Tresor

That reminds me how the hockey stick that you promoted on this forum was inappropriately adjusted by a factor of + 300 times by the so called ''global warming scientists''.

I think you should be the last one to teach a scientist what sample size he should use.

#45     Feb 15, 2010
  6. You're misremembering something as I have "promoted" no hockey stick graph. There are many graphs which increase rapidly, from many difference sources, such as the Keeling curve, average global temperatures and some proxy data.

#46     Feb 15, 2010
  7. Tresor

Tresor

bigdave, come on man. Just admit you were wrong about AGW for all these months / years and we can close this thread.

You cannot deceive yourself indefinitely.

#47     Feb 15, 2010
  8. I can see how you might see it as a close call -- the choice being the raw data from NASA which is available online, or your video of some guy who can't use a Powerpoint remote control correctly.

#48     Feb 15, 2010
  9. Tresor

Tresor

I see, the best way to discredit the content of a scientist's lecture is by pointing out the lecturer's poor skills of operating a remote control.

How pathetic :confused:

#49     Feb 15, 2010
  10. ==================
    Good points, Mr Unretired.
    However planting one shade tree can cool the micro climate around ones home {in summer time anyway,LOL}.And when the leaves drop in winter, sun shines[warmth] thru.

So watch out for a repeat of the 1970s global cooling scare/scam;
    climate change,LOL.

#50     Feb 15, 2010