Snow because of global warming!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bugscoe, Feb 13, 2010.

1. for god's sake shut up ....

#31     Feb 14, 2010

2. for god's sake shut up ....

here's an assignment for you ... research the optimal amount of CO2 for vegetation before diminishing margins of return are achieved....

HINT: at the rate at which man emits CO2 we should hit it in about 2000 years

#32     Feb 14, 2010
  3. Indeed so. In fact James Hansen's climate model from 1988 successfully predicted short term cooling from the Mount Pinatubo Eruption in 1991. Climate models take into account the effect of volcanoes.

As I understand it, the cooling effect is due to fine particles injected into the atmosphere reflecting a little of the solar radiation back into space.

#33     Feb 14, 2010

4. how on earth were you ever convinced that you are "smart"

#34     Feb 14, 2010
  5. WOW

Not exactly rocket science prediction since Krakatoa
    Please note the use of non peer reviewed journals and the application frickin common sense.

#35     Feb 14, 2010
  6. TGregg

TGregg

We've still got piles of global warming from a couple weekends ago, plenty of global warming on the ground from Friday night, and now they are calling for even more global warming to fall tonight and tomorrow in Charlotte.

My second trip ever to Charlotte was near the end of February several years ago. It was sunny and over 70 degrees. I bet we don't have a day like that this month.

If this global warming gets any worse, we're gonna global warm ourselves right into the next ice age.

#36     Feb 14, 2010
  7. You entirely miss the point, which is that Hansen came up with the prediction not by statistical inference (ie it's been that way before therefore it must be that way in the future), but by including the effect of particulates in his physical model. By so doing he added to the knowledge of physical nature of climate and what effects it and that his model had some predictive value. Most importantly the physical mechanism is identified. Contrary to all the crap from denialists, climate scientists are very interested, not just in CO2, but all aspects of the climate system.

One could come up with an explanation of the temporary cooling effect of volcanoes, by asserting that they frighten the sun god, but it wouldn't be a lot of use.

#37     Feb 14, 2010
  8. Hardly , I figured it out in high school physics.

It always helps to figure out what the answer should be , before you start an experiment.

Not exactly genius to make the model curve fit to known observations.

I mean really what good is a model that can represent recent events but be wildly off on known history..

Besides I take issue with your claim that he "predicted" anything. How long after the eruption did he program his info, or did he predict the eruption as well? (If he waited too long actual temperature changes could have influence his programming once again curve fitting to fit observations).

#38     Feb 14, 2010
  9. good comedy .. bravo, encore

#39     Feb 14, 2010
  10. I hope you guys are better at trading than your professed knowledge of science.

The facts is there are a lot more higher highs recorded global temperatures in the last hundred years than there are lower lows.

Ask yourself who profits from denying this knowledge.

#40     Feb 14, 2010