Smoking Some REFR

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by stonedinvestor, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Topdown here's the deal on ALTI.

soon to be released all electric Sport Utility Truck [SUT] by Phoenix Motorcars, Inc. UQM Technologies (UQM) a part of the Powershares Clean Energy Fund (PBW) develops an electric propulsion system that will produce enough power to accelerate the vehicle from 0 to 60 in 10 seconds with a top speed of 100mph! Altair (ALTI) will provide the NanoSafe battery pack which can be charged in 10 minutes and travel 100 mph on a single charge (Phoenix is working on an upgrade that is expected to increase that to 250 miles). Very impressive indeed! Phoenix will have far exceeded that government goal of developing a plug in hybrid that travels 40 miles on a single charge. Phoenix is a private company but a way to play it is through a purchase of Altair (ALTI), which now owns a 16.6% stake in the company as part of their agreement.

They are expected to sell for about $45K initially but will drop significantly if the government begins to purchase them. According to the company it will cost $3/per charge. Considering the average sport utility vehicle needs somewhere around 13 gallons of $3/gas to go 250 miles (as, it will be about 13x cheaper to run the electric vehicle... If you assume the average miles traveled in a year is 15K miles, you would save approximately $2K/year in fuel. The problem is Compare a 25K Ford SUV to the current price of the Phoenix SUV and it would take you 10 years to make up the difference in fuel cost savings.

The average farmer then in his used F150 is not going to make the switch> but the government could easily make a huge purchase. I think we have to do a Internet search on a release date for the Phoenix Motorcars project and assume there will be a whole hell of a lot of press coverage and that our two companies involved UQM & ALTI will both get a substantial lift!

Topdown you scare me a little bit, your thinking process is not unlike the stonedinvestors though I fear you may be several generations younger!

#11     Feb 10, 2007
  2. Phoenix MotorCars

Phoenix MotorCars started out by building electric vehicles based on vintage US models from the 1940s. Their first prototype was a 1937 ford coupe but after getting it running to test out their system the drive train has been removed and placed in another vehicle. They have now developed a Sports Utility Truck (SUT) using Altairnano Li batteries and are taking orders from Fleets for a production run of 500 vehicles.

The SUT will have a range of a little over 100 miles per charge and a top speed of 95 mph. 0-60 can be accomplished in just under 10 seconds. Payload for this truck is 1000 lbs.

The vehicle comes equipped with a 6.6 KW onboard charger that can charge the car from a 220V outlet in 6 to 8 hours. Also available as a 250KW fast charging system that can bring the batteries up to a full charge in as little as 10 minutes. The fast charger is expensive though at around $100,000 but will be a good investment for large fleets.

The Altairnano batteries are claimed to have a high cycle life, 12 year shelf life, and have eliminated the fire issues that have plagued other Lithium batteries.

Phoenix will follow up this initial offering with a second vehicle, this time an SUV, in late 2007. The SUV will offer similar performance and to the SUT.

Phoenix say that they have over 100 orders so far and are expected to sell the entire 2007 production to fleet customers. They expect to start selling to individuals in 2008 but might be persuaded to sell before then.

For more information and pricing contact Byron at (909) 987-0815

>> damn. If you're a Hollywood honcho type you are certainly going to be bidding on that first series of SUV when it comes out. The Truck looks dope too. This is going to be big. Many more orders for ALTI I'm sure and this Phoenix Motorcar they're obviously going to IPO Topdown and then we will have however many percent through the ownership of ALTI.....

#12     Feb 10, 2007
  3. topdown

topdown

Stoney - What I like about the Phoenix is not only their performance (from the Altair battery), but they are real cars. You could put one of the other electric vehicles (like the concepts or the one proposed by HYBT) in the back of the Phoenix truck.

Topdown you scare me a little bit, your thinking process is not unlike the stonedinvestors though I fear you may be several generations younger! [/B][/QUOTE]

Regarding the above, I am 42 years old, have smoked some in my time and still partake on occasion!

#13     Feb 10, 2007
  4. Thank God. I'm 42 too. Weird age. There's this nagging inclination to do something big in one's life- I have an Ivar Kreuger project- he was a Swedish financial swindler in the 1930's. I just can't decide if it's broadway material , a documentary, illustrated fiction or what the f* it is. It would be perfect for Woody Allen in the Zelig mindset. I might try and fix up the idea and then sell it. (There's the small problem of some plagiarism by yours truly but from REALLY old impossible to find books)- AND 42-43 would seem the time to do it. I'm afraid it's not enough to make money it has to be " public " in some manner. If only grownups read more picture books...

Ivar Kreuger (March 2, 1880 – March 12, 1932) was a Swedish financier, entrepreneur and industrialist. In the time between the two world wars, he was one of the most powerful businessmen in Europe. He gained a match monopoly across Europe by legislative acts of European governments. He subsequently became known as the "Match King".

I feel a cycle turning- my retail store will be no more as of October, I need to get out of the house or I will become a daytrading monster. But enough about me, lets talk about the stonedinvestor!

#14     Feb 10, 2007

5. some of the most fantastic picks I have heard in a long time. Maybe a little off topic but being that you guys like opportunity, do any of you flip? Just a stoned and curious investor looking to add this to his portfolio. thanks p-

#15     Feb 10, 2007
  6. I can honestly say I have never flipped anything. First with an IPO I really do feel an obligation to whatever investment house got me the shares not to just run and cash in. With a biotech I've certainly sold at a few crests of enthusiasm but never bought one one day and sold it the next. In general I like to follow a stock I am going to buy for 3 weeks. I'll see how it does in good markets and how it does in bad markets. Is it reliable? How is the volume? Once I buy I find I can hold almost a year sometimes. 3 Qtrs earnings reports at least. This allows great tech stocks the time to shine and story stocks to developed. Sad I know but everything has become so much faster these days and the punishment for missing has become so much harsher- that it's really hard to buy and hold. I've of course sold quite a few losers a day or two after buying them- that's part of the game.

#16     Feb 10, 2007
  7. topdown

topdown

I am not sure what you mean by "flip". If you mean going from long to short on a stock (or vis versa), I do it all the time. Usually it is a stock that I am long on but runs up large in a day for no apparent reason and the fundamentals do not justify the price, then I will sell and may go short. When it gets back down to a reasonable level, I will switch back to long.

#17     Feb 10, 2007
  8. REFR is a press release company with no revenue in last many years but master of PR, every few years it releases similar press releases of deal with some glass manufacturers in Asia or some obscure country.
    They have demos of their windows at Nasdaq opening and all over the places. This happens with regularity since 87. The stock goes up,insider sell and the cycle continues. The story is always same of the potential of such windows. I keep it in my list of Press releases companies.
    Exactly same thing happened couple of years ago. To profit from such things you need to be extremely nimble. If you believe in hype and load up for long run, be warned it is all hype.

#18     Feb 10, 2007
  9. Ok I see you are a moderator I am going to be nice not seething mad. I have read that SAME EXACT critique twice on other boards in Cyberspace> It's a press release company, it's a press release company. NOW IN THE REAL WORLD YOU HAVE TO DROP as press release now and then to get noticed.. But in particular >rather than scream about it > read what the release says... This one was about Hitachi SHIPPING product. Ok! In boats In trucks In buildings. And guess what I LUCKED INTO something HUGE friday that I just now discovered
    Research Frontiers Shares Up 25 Percent

(AP) - Shares of Research Frontiers Inc. soared to a new 52-week high on Friday, after Raytheon Aircraft Co. said it will sell aircraft window shades with the company's light-control technology for all models of its Beechcraft King Air aircraft.

Shares of Woodbury, N.Y.-based Research Frontiers gained $2.48, or 27.2 percent, to $11.59 in afternoon trading on the Nasdaq Stock Market, after reaching a high of $11.66 earlier in the session. The stock previously traded between $3.59 and $10.20 over the past year.

The electronically switchable window shades block UV radiation and allow passengers and flight crew to control the amount of sunlight, glare and heat passing through the aircraft cabin windows.

Oh my God we're in Aerospace too!

Negativity has it's place in investing but at what price? They are countless companies with no revenue that have stock prices up at $20 bucks > what you need is a great idea & faithful stockholders.....
    ~stoney

#19     Feb 10, 2007
  10. So let me see... Help me out here.....

If the stock price of a press release company goes up and you clip a good portion of that ride while it is going up and perhaps a good portion while it's going back down, was that a bad decision on your part as a trader????

Or should you have ignored the 100% jump in price from last week to this week, not capitalized on whatever the reason was for it's run up and "eventual" run down...

Does that make you smart trader or a dumb trader????

Thats what I want to understand. I have watched many a stock run up on "hype" I jump on, collect 10-50 points and jump off. Did that make me a bad trader????

Why the warning? a smart TRADER (that is what this site is about...Trading, not investing) would capitalize on the price action of the stock. Stoney merely investigated the why.....

I have had quite a few of those. The price moved in my favor. I rode it for a few points and jumped off. Then I might have investigated the why. "The whole trader psychology thing"

Not trying to be a "monger" just making an observation and asking a question.

REFR can do this every 2-3 years and every 2-3 years I'll be glad to grab some of that ride :)

I thought trading was about making money. Not falling in love with an instrument.

Correct me if I am wrong and if you sense sarcasm... well My Former boss told me I had a dry wit about myself.

Case in point. there was a stock that started running up. No news, etc.... The company came out and said..."There is no reason why our stock price should be running up." Consequently the stock ran right back down the next day. Kinda dumb. I don't care why the stock ran up or ran down... Did I grab some profit from that move???? I Surely hope so. The data feeds are pricey. LOL.

Peace and hair grease....

#20     Feb 10, 2007