Smoking and Trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Turhovach, May 19, 2009.

Are you a smoker?

1. Yes, I smoke all the time.

42 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. Yes, I smoke, but only when trading.

8 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Used to smoke, but quit.

47 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. Don't smoke and never did.

51 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. Oh man, that must have really, really sucked. How many beers did you down in quick succession after doing that?

ROFL - God! The thought of doing that just makes me cringe...

#51     May 20, 2009
  2. I don't smoke but have had to deal with the "stress daemons" myself. I've tried two things. First one was to measure my pulse when i felt i was getting nervous and try to get it low. Secondly, about two years ago i got one of the heartmath/emwave devices and have used that successfully. I left it on while trading and based on the feedback were able to manage the stress very well. Now i rarely use the device, but i think some sort of bio feedback is a great way to get yourself calmed down.

#52     May 20, 2009
  3. Eight

Eight

It's the mid 60's. I've been trying to meet mr. big, the guy with the weed by the carload, for months. Finally I get an introduction and I go to meet him at a house.. we chat a little, I buy a baggie and promise to come back with my bankroll if I like it.. [what weed is there that I would not like anyhow]... I'm a little nervous as I say my goodbyes, turn, open the door and walk into a closet...

To be continued....

#53     May 20, 2009
  4. Surdo

Surdo

I quit cold turkey on 3/12/2002, after a pack a day habit for years.

I don't judge other smokers, just choose to live without cigs.

An occasional 420 calms the nerves!

#54     May 21, 2009
  5. I quit smoking before my trading career. It was hard then, but I did it. I feel for you. I'm in the group that still thinks about it now and again (been about 6 years). I don't wish that habit on anyone.

Because I want to be the best trader ever (hey, someone has to be the best, why not me?), trading actually helped me kick some other bad habits.

To stay attentive, I had to cut my sugar habit, and hit the gym. I drink lots of water, and am down to 1 can of soda a day. That's a big deal compared to what it used to be.

I was floored when one day I kept the empty cans on my desk instead of throwing them away. Eight cans in 8 hours. My teeth hurt thinking about it.

I hit the gym at 5am and work out at least 45 mins. I find I'm more focused than ever, and my equity curve smoothed out.

My advice: If you want to be the best, you're going to have to make some hard but smart decisions.

#55     May 21, 2009
  6. I just smoked what hopefully was my last cigarette.

And so it goes...

#56     May 22, 2009
  7. I've tried quitting. Once I quit for 11 days. Worst 11 days of my life.
    I was in about a 70% panic mode every waking second.
    Literal panic. All I could think of was how anxious I was.
    My hands shook, I couldn't focus my eyesight on anything, my ear drums fluttered (weird huh?) so I couldn't hear very well.
    I did quit the ciggies tho, and went back to my pipes.
    Life is good!:D

#57     May 22, 2009
  8. You must be the death of any party. Tell me when was the last time you were invited to one?

We still live in a relatively free society and people here are free to do as they please.

Have you seen a liver destroyed by vodka?

#58     May 22, 2009
  9. fh2000

fh2000

I grew up outside of US. If was fashionable to spoke during my youth. Almost 1/3 of male teenagers and 1/2 of male adult smoked. I started with my first cig during my college freshman year. Four years later, I went to the military for 2 years as with all the able bodied men did. Our Army issued a cartoon of cigs for each soldier each month. Half of the soldiers who did not spoke simply gave them away to those who did. So, I got at least 2 cartoons with total 40 packs for each month. After discharge, I worked for a year back home. It was an air-conditioned building but all smokers smoked inside the office, so you can imagine how that smoke circulating all day and never went away.

Then, I got admitted to a US college to continue my graduate study. At the airport, I took out my last pack and handed to my mother. I don't think they sell the kind of brand I smoke in America, I told my mom. Besides, with my paltry scholarship, I didn't think I would have either the money nor the time to smoke.

After I landed In Seattle, I was so busy with my new life, and going thru cultural shock, I never felt the urge to spoke anymore. That was 1983, and I have not touched a cig since.

Life changing event might be another great cure of a bad habit.

#59     May 22, 2009
  10. gimp570

gimp570

everyone has a vice....drinking is not easy to kick either

#60     Jul 6, 2009